• Register Today It's free!

SPARK PLUGS (5.0L)

dondiesel444

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
What kind of spark plugs are you guys using in your V-8's??

About 20,000 miles ago, I changed the plugs and wires on the X. I used Champion 3013 Platinum plugs. About a week ago the X started to mis-fire, it got so bad the CEL came on yesterday, and today it was so bad I could barely drive it. The code came up a cyl. 1 misfire so I pulled the plug and the gap was HUGE, like .090

I replaced that plug, and pulled the other plugs, just to check them. Those plugs were like .070", so I re-gapped them to .052 and put them back.

Should these plugs were out this fast?? Is there another type of plug I should try, maybe NOT platinum's??

Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Always use motorcraft plugs. They are OEM.

Yep, use Motorcraft Double Platinum Plugs. For some reason Ford engines sometimes hate other plugs.

i am using motorcraft plugs, but just the regular non platinum ones. i've seen evidence that although they won't last as long you get a little better power that way.

Motorcraft double plats

I am running autolite plats....

I think the autolites and motorcrafts are the same.... i coul dbe wrong though

I also thought Autolites and Motocrafts were the same, anybody know for sure?? I think I can get Autolites at the local stores.

Do I have to get the Motocrafts at the dealer, or does anybody else (Advance Auto, NAPA, PartsPlus) sell them??

I guess I will change all of them, huh??

AutoZone sells Motorcraft plugs.

Motorcraft plugs? i just took out a set of Motorcraft plaitnum and they are in terriable shape. Huge gap and just look worn. I am not sure if they were replaced before, but at most they have 59,000 miles and some people say the motorcraft should last much longer then 59,000. I'm sticking a set of Bosch Plus 4 in there since those lasted forever in my old V-6.

Back