Spark Plugs Not Firing | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs Not Firing

Does anybody have link to where I can download a complete wiring diagram for the 96 Explorer? Chasing wires is driving me crazy and my Haynes manual doesn't have the best diagrams.
Thanks.
I suggest getting an EVTM off ebay for your explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My PCM didn't have any extractable codes...

Apparently I have posted in the wrong thread...

CDW6212R: The only wiring, besides the spark plug wires, that I touched while getting that broken plug out were the wires and connections for the air intake. The wiring that goes into the air filter housing, then the sensor on the air intake funnel. I did double check those wires and they seem fine. I'll look around the compartment for any problems though.

Josh P: I'd like to do a live data scan on it but right now I have to wait for the computer's memory to reset so I can start the engine. I tried using the scan tool to reset the memory but that didn't help.

To summarize: If I leave it with the battery unplugged for several hours and the engine is completely cool, when I plug the battery up, the engine will start and run until it reaches operating temp. If I turn on the heat, and keep the temp down, it will continue to run a lot longer because it takes longer for the engine to get to operating temp.
If I leave the battery connected after it stalls, it will not restart even if the engine is completely cool and hasn't been touched for 4 - 5 hours.

BTW: How many hours does it take for the ECM to clear after you unplug the battery?
Dave, not much has been discussed about the MAF and IAT sensors, which are the ones you disconnected on the air intake. The IAT increases in resistance the cooler it gets, so you might do further checks on it. Ford also had a TSB on the MAF sensor connector on some models, so could be a problem there.

Don't know how they would relate to a no-start, but they might warrant another check since they were disturbed.....especially the IAT since temperature was involved.

Back