• Register Today It's free!

spark plugs??

Splorer94

Reaction score
City, State
Mcdonough Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 sport
i have a 94 explorer sport with the 4.0 v6 ohv. I put autolite platnums in the truck and it would ping like crazy. It would even ping in low rpms and with the throttle like a quarter of the way open with Chevron low octane. So question what are the best plugs to run in the explorer and could it be my egr valve??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pluag

i run rapid fire #3 in mine ac delco runs great and i run mine real hard

I installed Motorcraft Double Platinum plugs (dealer) and burn 'junk' gas from Speedway (87 octane) and have no problems. Strange.

I suggest you run Motorcraft plugs; I have tried all sorts of different plugs on the 4.0 and 2.9 thru the years (Autolite singles, Bosch, Bosch +4, Splitfires, Champion, etc) and the engine always seems to run better (less pinging) with the Motorcrafts.

Some people say Autolites and Motorcraft plugs are the same, but that's not true. They look similar but they're not the same.

Motorcraft double platinum plugs. Never had a problem since I changed from Bosch to those!

thanks ya'll i really appreciate the help.. what do ya'll think about NGK plugs? i heard they run hot so they might work you think?

Plugs

Make sure the gap is correct. I run Autolite, but the gap out of the package is not correct. Gap them in accordance with the emissions plate in the engine compartment.

I tried NGK. In my opinion, they wear out too fast. The center electrode seems to be soft copper and it wears down to nothing.

Is there a place to get Motorcraft plugs, other than at a dealer?

Bob

i don't know of anywhere i can get motorcraft plugs from.. but i will look at the gaps.. on all my other cars i have never had a problem with plugs or the gaps but i will check them now.. thanks

Autolites or Motorcraft are the plugs to run. The motor came from Ford with single platinums in it.

Your pinging could be due to a dirty MAF sensor. Don't laugh - it took me a long time to figure this out.

Search this forum and you will find instructions for cleaning the sensor.

Also, ensure your plug wires are in good condition.

I used to race with NGK plugs but wouldn't use them in my Ex. As for finding Motorcraft plugs other than at the dealer, sometimes I see them at Wally World.
D.

could it still be the egr valve..?

Back