• Register Today It's free!

spark plugs

mreaglewo1

Reaction score
City, State
nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer sport
I am wondering how do you know when to change spark plugs?

also, when you change the plugs, do you change the wires as well at the same time?

are the plugs gapped correctly when you buy them?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can pull the plugs and visually check if they are dirty, or worn.

NO you do not have to change the wires unless you are having problems or if the wire casings are dry, cracked or torn. You can buy the plugs pre-gaped. A lot of the guys will recommend replacing them with the OEM plugs. There is plenty of information on the forum on how to check and change your plugs, just use the search button.

I scored 8 Motorcraft plugs last summer (OEM spec) for my 5.0 and all of them were gapped exactly where I wanted them. That being said, I measured each one of them to make sure.

Changing wires isn't a bad idea. It's common for the wires to self-destruct when you try and get them off. Consider using anti-seize in the threads of the plugs (a little dab will do ya, don't overdo it) and some dielectric grease on the plug/wire connections. Will make it easier to change plugs down the road and get the wires off.

^^^ forgot to mention that ^^^ VERY GOOD ADVICE

I recommend autolite double platinum. in my 5.0 I had the #7 single platinum plug installed by a previous owner break off in the head because it ceased. I heard the double platinum's don't cease because the outer housing aren't steel, but to be safe I added anti-cease as well because that was a pricey repair

Back