• Register Today It's free!

Spark plugs

Lifted92

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 sport
I'm redoing the head and all the fun valve seals on my 92 explorer. While I have everything apart I'm replacing everything just to have everything new and ready for winter. My question is spark plugs. Autozone says use copper. That's what I want but they do not show a listing for motorcraft coppers only the 5 dollar finewire platinums. What's the best alternative copper plug to use. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you use the search there is an entire thread on this already. Me personaly I like ngk and run them in everything. And I know they have a copper plug for the explorer.

Ok I was not sure if there was I'm at work using my phone it's kinda hard to search through for other threads I do appreciate the heads up and I was also thinking of using the ngk plugs as well. I did get my hands on a motorcraft spark plug book and found the oem motorcraft plug number so I'm gonna go with those to keep it kinda factory. Thank you.

No brainer, good choice. Why stray from OEM plugs when they are PROVEN to work?

My question is spark plugs. Autozone says use copper. That's what I want but they do not show a listing for motorcraft coppers only the 5 dollar finewire platinums. What's the best alternative copper plug to use. Thank you.

Advance Auto Parts is the only place I know that carries motorcraft plugs.... that's where I got my plugs and wires from. They (AAP) sell motorcraft wires as well if you're interested.

For a '94, anyway, the spec plug is Motorcraft AWSF42PP, according to the underhood label. This is a double platinum plug with a dot of platinum on the tip and under the electrode. The theory is that you need a double platinum plug because of the paired nature of the coil pack.

Copper... well, I ran copper plugs for 6 months, and started migrating to the Motorcraft double platinum because... nothing more than personal obsession. When I pulled the copper autolites (765's if I recall), they looked new.

There is some thought that running the double platinum plug, AND reducing the gap to .045 will improve idle. I have only had a chance to change one side (guess which one), but I do notice an improvement in idle.

You will probably have a hard time walking into a store and finding Motorcraft ASWF42PP plugs. They have been out of production for quite a while, so the only ones left are old stock. I cleaned out RockAuto, though they apparently found one in the corner and have it for sale if you want to pay shipping for one spark plug! I found 7 of them through Amazon.com, and a box of 10 on ebay. I got the ebay ones, box of 10 for 29.99 including shipping. So, at this point, I have enough to change spark plugs 3 times. If I wanted more, I would watch ebay every week or two.

Anti-seize on the threads and di-electric grease in your boots, you will be glad you did.

I got my hands on an motorcraft spark plug book and look through it I found the first gen explorer has listings for the finewire platinums and above it has the listing for coppers which by autozones number is sp-419 on the plug its labeled as awsf42c. I do like the idea of lower the gap to help the idle out. The automate 765 was on of the alternate part numbers for copper I saw at autozone as well. I'm gonna try the sp-419s out and see how they do.

Try Extremespark.com

I am running the Torquestar and am very impressed. Idle quality is very, very smooth, pinging is nearly gone (noise still present due to valve train) and informal mileage is up by 3MPG. Pricey, but well made and claims of 100,000 miles before replacing.

I use a DUI Sceamin Demon coilpack and Livewires and had copper autolites, just before trying out the Torquestar's. They were subtle but very noticeably better, smoother and stronger than before. YMMV

Go Motorcraft. Anything else will eventually lead to misfires. Make sure to use Motorcraft wires too. The Ford DIS system does not like aftermarket ignition parts.:)

I've use the Autolites 765's for many years and many miles.
Change them out every 30K

Well so far after replacing the valve seals and head gaskets I used the motorcraft and so far I'm liking the results from a 2 dollar plug. I looked into the extemespark plugs and at 12.50 a plug I'll enjoy the motorcraft for now. I do like the quality of the torquestars and the mpg improvement idea but to pricy go my wallet. The truck does have 130000 miles on it with the original coil I was thinking about replacing it with a wells coil just to see if that would help or go aftermarket. I do known fords like there motorcraft and oe parts though also.

Unless that screamin coil and superwires can make me breakfast in the morning... nah. My next $100 goes to rebuilding my limited slip clutch pack.

Agreed.... however I'd want infinite gas refills from the coil pack.... that's the cleanest way to put it :D No point in voicing the dirty mind.

Back