• Register Today It's free!

SPark plugs

ckb2steelers

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT V-8 AWD
New member here and new to the Explorer community.I have a '97 AWD with the 5.0. My question is what are people running for spark plugs? I've heard that the 5.0 motor may actually have to run two different types of plugs according to the cylinder they are going in. Recommendations would be appreciated. Also recommendations for plug wires. Thanks,

Cleve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the show.

I've never heard that about different plugs. I have Champion double plats. There has been quite a bit of discussion about plug preferences so give the search function a try.

Here's a photo of the access through the fenders. The wheels don't have to come off but it's alot easier if you can.
8426scanimage8a.jpg

I have heard of that in the six cylinder's but not the v-8's I would stick with motorcraft plugs cant go wrong with them:D

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I just recently developed a miss and I was checking the wires and plugs tonight and noticed that the no. 3 plug had a little arcing going on right around the plug. By the way, 5.0DAD what size tires are you running on your X.

Cleve

Welcome to the monkey cage,Cleve!:D

Both the V-8 and 6 use the "waste spark" ignition system. The sparkplugs are indeed different from the factory. If they are removed, they must be reinstalled on the same bank they were removed from. (The platinum is on different plug electrodes on the different banks.)

You can ignore this fact if you use double platinums. I agree with the previous posters, Motorcraft DP's are good; also Motorcraft wires.....

Some engines came with different plugs, some got all one kind.

For balance every cylinder is paired with another that is 180 degrees out of sync.
The piston in each travels up and down together, but while one is on the compression stroke the other is on the exhaust.
Ford designed the ignition coil in pairs as well, firing the plugs in both cylinders together.
The plug firing during the exhaust stroke sees a much higher resistance so most of the spark goes to the other.
Since the plugs are wired in series one is positive to ground and the other is negative, which means the spark travels from the electrode to the tip on one and from the tip to the electrode on the other.

Double platinum plugs means both the tip and electrode are platinum coated.
Single platinum comes in either electrode coated or tip coated.

Ford got creative in some engines and decided to use the correct single platinum in some of the cylinders.
On others they just went the easy route and put double plats in all.

I'm currently running Bosch single platinum plugs on Autozone Double Silicone wires.

I had Autolite copper plugs in there for the past year, along with my original Motorcraft wires (5 years/115k miles) and I had a random missfire at low rpm. The new plug wires helped, but I think the platinum plugs cured it. However the Autolites were in perfect condition on all 8 cylinders when removed...

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone all motorcraft. The autozone wires are lifetime free replacement though. Bosch plugs were cheap, autolites were cheaper.

Some plugs have 1/2 threads, others are full threaded. Don't worry, as long as they are the same length, the "full thread" plugs won't stick into the cylinder too far.

5.0 Dad - what's the drier hose for??? My guess is cold air intake....

8426scanimage8a.jpg

ckb2steelers : 255/60/17 Toyo Proxis ST's. Love them!

V8BoatBuilder : I prefer "Flex Duct" :rolleyes: Sounds less McGyver. But you're right. It's a mockup to get routing and fit. It's out of the frame but there is a sheet metal transition from the fog light opening in my EE airdam to the 4" flex. Right now I have an aux. battery box around the KKM with the flex entering from the bottom. Once all of the dimensions and contours are nailed down then these parts will get replaced with nice looking stuff.

Back