SparkyXplorer-BW4406 Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SparkyXplorer-BW4406 Swap

So, because of my recent discovery of a BW 4406 T-case, I have chosen to join the few who dropped the AWD and are now true "4x4".

For those of you who didn't see my other thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=192408) on Identifying this case to see if it was the BW 4406 that I needed.

Well all I know right now is that, this case is from a F250 5.4L V8. I am not sure of the mileage at this point. That is the only thing that will hold this swap off till later.

However, I do know that the guy is willing to just give me the case so the cost as of now is $ 0.00

I have been and will continue to use
410Fortune's
MountaineerGreen's
FlyboyCoe's
Jtsmith's
97V8's
V8boatbuilder's
for research,help, ideas, etc.

The case has no major damages to it that I can see. All the gears are working, no strange noises will turning. The case itself looks pretty good so hopefully not to many miles, but I know that how clean the case is no direct indication of mileage...
Picture%20017.jpg

The sensor on this case "seems" to magnetic...or something similar...
Sensor port...
Picture%20018.jpg

Sensor itself...
Picture%20019.jpg

I know that jaime figured out a way to make his case workable with the speedo but, Will this style be workable to just plug and play with my 99 Explorer Limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ignore it-
I think your speedo sensor is in the rear diff. Just put the sensor in the case and tape over it. It is not needed in the 98-01

Correct me if I am wrong please
You might go crawl under your truck and look for a sensor in the rear diffy--about 12 oclock or so of the pinion.
The only sensor I am using from the case is the shift indicator-near the shift lever--

If someone metioned the sensor location switch in different years I must have missed it but there is a sensor on the rear diff about 12 o'clock...

BTW...That was the first time I REALLY noticed how small my T-case is, after having been picking up the 4406 and playing with it and moving it....then going and seeing my current case....:eek:

If someone metioned the sensor location switch in different years I must have missed it but there is a sensor on the rear diff about 12 o'clock...

BTW...That was the first time I REALLY noticed how small my T-case is, after having been picking up the 4406 and playing with it and moving it....then going and seeing my current case....:eek:

It will squeaze in there--barely

Actually, I think yours truly brought the sensor up in 410ortune's thread

Would you care to explain "Actually, I think yours truly brought the sensor up in 410ortune's thread" not quite sure what your saying...

Need a F150 front driveshaft? It even has the conversion U-joint in it. $85 Shipped

Would you care to explain "Actually, I think yours truly brought the sensor up in 410ortune's thread" not quite sure what your saying...
I thought I brought it up in jamie's thread.
Did you see any sensors, or wires connected to your transfer case while you were under there? If not-you are good to go.

I thought I brought it up in jamie's thread.
Did you see any sensors, or wires connected to your transfer case while you were under there? If not-you are good to go.

96-97s have that sensor. 98+ don't

Boomin: I am going to have to find a drive shaft for the rear now, So yeah I will do that offer....Is it the shaft that you used for your swap? Is there anything else that I would need to pick up to make this shaft work, since you are including the U-joint?

I didn't look to close for wires running to the T-case but boomin is saying 98+ don't need the t-case sensor so I guess its good...

So I know that this swap will net me better MPG's but not sure how many...
After you guys swap how much did the MPG improve?...I am having a little bet with my father who says that it will not increase over 1.5MPG and I am saying more then 1.5MPG

I am just venting here in the next paragraph but I must give you a little background first...

So I am a 17 year old kid who is going to be a senior in high school...
This 17 year old kid (me) has payed of his 99 ford explorer limited (including mods which can be $$$, 33"s, 7inch touch screen dvd player) and has paid for gas, insurance, and any other related cost since I got it...I did not do this with parents money, I have always worked hard (one of the things the means a lot to me, hard work) anyways, I have always worked...I worked with my dad in the summers following 7th and 8th grade and then, when I was a freshman in highschool (15) I begin working at the local pizza place...Have held that job ever since (now a senior). I am the manager at the place, and possible in the future if my boss decides to get out of it possible take it over...

My parents are not really against me doing things to my car but they think that I don't need to be doing every thing that I am. My mom says that I can be investing my money into some better things, but I can not think of something better then my X, I mean doing stuff to my explorer and wheelin it keeps me out of trouble, makes me happy doing something that I love, I mean this could turn into a lifetime sport for me....hell maybe even kids some day...

My parents (mom mainly) were against me putting on the BL and new wheels/tires, and after it got done they never told me good job or anything but then I over heard them talking to my neighbors and they said that it looks good for something that a teenager did, especially for his first time...That put a smile on my face the size of this :D!

I do not mean say that, I am better then anybody my age because I have worked hard or that I know more then my parents (cause a person who does that can be flat out ignorant)....So don't think that this post is like that, I am just a little flustared and had to VENT!:fire:

So now...
I have the T-case
Front drive shaft, I will have thanks to Boomin as soon as I come back from a little family reunion

Not realizeing today was sunday I tried to stop by a JY and find a rear drive shaft but thats when I found out it was sunday (cause they were closed)

Total cost for swap as of now: $85

You forgot to tell them about doing smoky burnouts--
that would have sold them for sure:D

Just keep doing what you do, let them blow off their steam-you blow off yours.

There will come a day when the "dinner plate breaks" so to speak. For me and my father, that day wasn't pleasant, but we get along great now. It's called growing up. If we always saw eye to eye with our parents, we'd never leave home.

I didn't look to close for wires running to the T-case but boomin is saying 98+ don't need the t-case sensor so I guess its good...
Thats correct -- that "hall effect" sensor you pulled out is not needed. Just put it back onto the transfer case so that it does not leak oil and leave it disconnected electrically.

I didn't need the sensor in my swap for the '00. I wish I could tell you I got better milage with the new case, but I threw on some steel wheels and 32" tires about the same time which dropped the milage quite a bit. But on the highway I can still see high teens and low twenties, if I'm not lead-footing it as usual.

That's the nice thing though, your X will drive a lot better with the new case. Your front wheels won't be robbing your power and the steering will be lighter. Let me know if you need help with anything.

As for right now I just need to keep locating my parts...I wish my area had some more and bigger JY. I might end up making a trip down to metro area and hit up pull n' save and others...or for the linkage just go to dealer...

Fair warning: I dropped $200 at the dealer getting the linkage, shifter, shifter arm, and boot. Get them at the yards if you can, but a dealer does take out a lot of hassel if you don't mind sparing the cash.

So today I did some hunting for a rear shaft...I went to a few yards (most were pointless but one actually had a lot of shafts)...The problem was they had a part of the yard that was just mainly expeditions and F150's and I was finding shafts that where 5"+ laying in the trucks, so they were all over the place...I did op out and get the main linkage from the dealer (picking up tomorrow). While looking for the rear shaft I found all the boots and knobs etc...

So tomorrow I think I am going back to the yard with better info and try and find my rear shaft and then I will have everything (almost), I am getting the front shaft from boomin but not till I get back into town....

Boot Hill auto salvage is a good place to try and find the shifter pieces, they leave them attached to the 4r70W tranny when they pull them from F-150's, this was the only place in town who had the shifter when I was looking. The nice part is they know what you are talking about and where to locate it outside if you are clear enough in your decription

Right up the street from Denver Ford, who charges alot if they have the parts you need, but I did find both of my driveshafts at Denver Ford, I think $300 for both complete..........a bit steep but hey

Went 4x4ing in my Explorer saturday night, in Nebraska at the sand dunes around lake Machonahey. Wowee the 4 low is so *****in in the 4 door ex......sand dunes are hellafun at 2 am
You are going to LOVE the way your explorer drives after this conversion, 2wd is awesome on the highway, 4x4 low is the way they should have built these 5.0L trucks IMO

truck feels more solid

disregard the speed sensor, your AWD case will not have one in 99
from the dealer you should get the shift arm (comes up through floor), and the shift linkage (from 4406 t case to shifter mechanism mounted on the transmission tailhousing).

fabbing a shifter arm or linkage is not a huge task if you dont use the Ford parts
finding a rubber boot to use for the hole in the floor is not hard either, I brought home about 3 candidates for $5 or so at the u pull it. Ended up using the Geo tracker unit on my 96.

The hard parts to locate are the correct driveshafts (for a good deal) and the shifter itself
the yards torch the shifter arm and the shifter remains attached to the back of the transmission.
there are a few F-150's with the manual 4406 in them around, but not a ton of them in the yards so its not a very common part.

gas mileage is increased, all I know is I dont fill up as much, the steering is not nearly as stiff and wear on the front end components will be decreased giving them longer life.
It's a tight fit in there and the 4406 is a heavy SOB, my ribs still hurt

I have read that the rear shaft should be 44" overall and 34" yoke to yoke but I could not seem to find one that matched that, But I am not sure if I was measuring from the right spot...

Example...(410's drive shafts)
dshafts.jpg

So is that where it should be measured overall at 44"? and where would I measure it for yoke to yoke?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can get the shift linkage( the little bar between t-case and the whole linkage system) I can get that part real easy...saw many still attached to 4406 at the JY I went to...I also found the shifter arm (that goes through the floor) I found that at the yard also....I kind of stashed them so I could just pick it all up tomorrow or when ever I get the rear shaft...

I know that SOB is heavy, I haven't benched it in, but I have moved it plenty enough...

Back