Speaker/amp help needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker/amp help needed

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I just installed my new component speakers and amp. After the hook up, I turned the system on am got extremely low volume that was full of bass fron the front speakers ( powered by the amp ). Using the fader, the rear door speakers work fine ( powered by the HU ).

The HU is a JVC MP3 player and the amp is a Lightning Audio 50 x 2. I am using RCA connection to the amp.

Is there something I need to switch on/off on the HU? Any idead?

Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the low pass filter on the amp is turned on.

Originally posted by Brian's98XLT
Sounds like the low pass filter on the amp is turned on.

I don't think so; its in the FLAT position ( of low flat hi choices ).

Any other ideas?

Are the high and low pass crossovers adjustable? What frequency ranges does each cover?

The only other thing I can think of is that the components are not wired properly, i.e., the crossover points. Try to switch the wiring around a little bit. Run the the rear speakers off the amp and the fronts off the HU.

Originally posted by B94Sport
Are the high and low pass crossovers adjustable? What frequency ranges does each cover?

I am not sure, This amp stuff is new to me.... here is r\a pic of the controls:"

Attachments

• ampcontrols.jpg
    ampcontrols.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 220

Amp problems

Try switching the crossover to the high setting and see what that does. Also, is your gain control all the way down? Hard to tell in the pic.

What does that juice boost button do?

Re: Amp problems

Originally posted by Rscotts1
Try switching the crossover to the high setting and see what that does. Also, is your gain control all the way down? Hard to tell in the pic.

I hace varied the gain and it makes little difference in position ( the volumn is so low ).

I have tried the xover at all positions and again, no effect.

?????????????

Amp problems

On your particular HU, how many pre-outs does it have? Which one are you using? It could be that you are using the sub-out instead of the front/rear pre-outs. It sounds to me like you are having problems getting a full range signal out of the HU and to the amp. Do you have an extra set of RCA's? If so try hooking up a spare set and see what that does. Double check which set of pre-outs you are running to the amp.

The HU has 3 sets of pre amp outs. FRONT, REAR, and SUB. I do have the RCAs in the FRONT out.

Other thoughts???????????????????

Try using the rear out.

How old is this amp? Have you used it before without any problems?

I can try that but when the rca's are disconnected ftom the FRONT out, the sound completely vanishes.

I think in the morning I will try to power the component speakers from the HU ( leaving the amp out of the picture ). Also I think I will trry to run one of the old ( Pioneer 3 way ) speakers using the amp.

Thoughts??????????????????????

I have a JVC ElKamelion and there is a pre amp turn on in the HU. I'm not sure what buttons you have on yours but I have to hold the SEL button till a menu comes up (this is the same way I set the time) and its in there.

Yes....you will not hear anything when the front RCA is disconnected...just reconnect it to the rear ouputs and see what happens. Disconnecting the amp and running straight from the HU will help you in determining what is wrong.

I hooked the woofer to the HU power and it plays fine.

Nust be a problem with the amp or the crossover.

Other thoughs?????????????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 98FordX24
I have a JVC ElKamelion and there is a pre amp turn on in the HU. I'm not sure what buttons you have on yours but I have to hold the SEL button till a menu comes up (this is the same way I set the time) and its in there.

With the KD SH99 that I have, you can turn on/off the internal amp, but there is nothing to turn on/off the pre amp signals.

Back