CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Hey fella's

One of my Kenwood 5x7's went dead in my driver side rear door, and im planning on getting both rear speakers replaced...

Now since im shopping anyway, im looking into going with a complete Kenwood system soon. currently im buying some new rear speakers, and im also thinking about buying a small amp for my doors, below is what im looking to buy.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/Amplifiers/KAC-6404

currently i have some a ( Dual - HD6420 ) HU, and ( Kenwood, kfc-c5793ps ) Speakers.

would that amp be a good improvement, paired with the speakers i have ? or should i go for a smaller amp ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not a big fan of Kenwood, mostly because I've never had direct experience with them, but I looked it up on Crutchfield and it's got a LOT more information readily available without having to download the manual. It's Class AB so it'll run a little bit more efficient than Class A's, and for the power it puts out it looks like it doesn't eat a lot of it, only 19 amps running it says.

I think it looks like a good deal, especially if you want to run a simple setup and not something that's going to be competition level. My 25 watts RMS from my Alpine headunit are just BARELY not enough, so I'd imagine 40 watts RMS would sound exceptionally clear. Plus you may be able to find a subwoofer amp that looks very close to it and do a really nice/matching installation.

Here's the crutchfield site for the amp:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC6404/Kenwood-KAC-6404.html?tp=115&tab=features_and_specs

If you were going to get it that's where I'd buy it from in case there's ever a problem with it.

I wouldn't get kenwood. I run Elemental Designs amps. When I finally install, I will have 200 watts to each front speaker and 100 watts to each rear speaker. Even though my speakers are rated at 60 watts, most speakers will take more power than that because in music, the power is not continuous.

thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it :thumbsup:

the amp got put on hold for a few weeks. I said i wanted to go with a full Kenwood setup, but i caved in on what i think is a deal.

I just bought a Pioneer ( DEH-P4200UB ) HU, so i can get rid of my Dual HU. Amazon has Pioneer on sale as i posted, and was able to get the HU for a really good price. I think its a nice upgrade from Dual. Dual isnt the best out there and i know that, but i got the HU, and my AMP for free so im not gonna complain lol.

I want to run a simple set up, nothing contest crazy. currently this is the set up i am running...

Dual HU ( XHD-6420 )

Kenwood Front Speakers ( KFC-C5793IE )

Kenwood Rear Speakers ( KFC-C5793IE )

Dual Amp ( XIA-5600 )

Kenwood Subwoofer x 2 ( KFC-W3012 )

FUTURE INSTALL ITEMS...

Pioneer HU ( DEH-P4200UB ) - on mail order

Kenwood Rear Speakers ( KFC-C5793PS ) - on mail order

Kenwood Speaker Amp ( KAC-6404 )

I would stay away from Kenwood in general.

your prior post makes no sense lol ?

jtbuck,

from what I have read in other threads, you seem pretty knowledgable about car audio. I hope this doesnt sound like a retarded question, but I am curious ? and would like to hear your input...

Looking @ my current set up posted above. My Subs are rated for 400w RMS max @ 4 ohms. My Amp @ 4 ohms is running 200w RMS to each Sub, and I do have the " power " turned down a little bit. Now with that being said, I know im way under the max RMS rating. Since my Subs are under powered, am I losing performance ?

I listen to Rap / Rock / Metal / Country, just to give you my musical taste. would you think that I would be better off running ( 2 ) 10's ? The subs im thinking of changing to, yes are Kenwood lol, but have a lower max RMS rating, which would closer match what my amp is putting out at its current settings. Im looking into 2 ( Kenwood KFC-2512 ), these subs have a max RMS rating of 300w @ 4 ohms.

I recently have decided that I would like to work on improving my system a little bit ( not competition ). my X hits hard " for me " but i think i could get better results by making some minor adjustments to my set up...

if this makes any sense at all, i would greatly appreciate your thoughts...

I run Elemental Design subs. They hit hard & sound great. I like their amps too. I haven't used one yet. My weakest link in my system is my Kenwood HU. It's not as clean as the Eclipse unit I had. Plus it doesn't have the 8 volt outputs the Eclipse unit had.

200w RMS per 12"sub should be fine. Unless you want it to be so loud that u can hear you coming from a mile away, dont want too much bass as it needs to blend in well with your other speakers. I am sure we have all had a friend who put subs and a huge amp in a car with a ****ty factory stereo where you can only barley hear the highs.

You are upgrading the rear 6x8's to better speakers.... I would put the better speakers in the front and move the older ones from the front to the back.

After everything is in see how it sounds to you and you can decide if you want to add a 4ch amp for the highs later.

I buy my gear at...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Damn low prices.

Post some pics when your done.

I will probably get flamed for this, but there is no such thing as too much power, as long as your signal is clean, and there is no clipping. I used to run 400 true watts each to a pair of 6.5 Alpine Type X components. (They were bi-amped, so that power went straight to the woofers) The problem is, if you are running insane amounts of power, you had better have a clean signal. If you clip (distort) once, you are liable to blow the speakers immediately. Moral of the story: Don't be so worried about how much power you are sending to the speakers and what their power rating is. In most cases, more power is better because it allows for more headroom (less gain on the amp=less distortion). For your needs, just get a decent set of speakers and a decent amp. You will be fine. Hit up your local car audio shops to listen to speakers and make your decision. Each brand has a distinct sound, so rather than basing your decision off of what someone else likes, listen for your self and decide.

I completely agree with Paradox, although power ratings are pretty close and never spot on (my kicker zx750.1 is rated for 750 watts but the birth sheet rated it at 968), they are pretty good guidelines if you're uncomfortable.

I appreciate the help fella's !

My rear speakes that im replacing are already Kenwood 5x7 KFC-C5793IE's, but they are being replaced with KFC-C5793PS's, and next paycheck I want to order another set to replace my front speakers also, and have them installed together...

just wanted to update this for the guys that have helped me out...

speakers came in the mail today, and will be put in early next week...

also just ordered the amp for my door speakers :D, I got a Kenwood ( KAC-8405 ) 4 channel amp...

Back