Speaker options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker options

joshgfeller

Reaction score
I have an 04 Sport Trac with the Pioneer AVH-3200BT installed in it. The speakers in the doors are getting very wore out and distorted. What are some good replacement options that will pair well with that unit without adding an additional amp. Not looking to shake the ground I just want some good sound and a little thump. Thanks for your thoughts!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just popped 4 hifonics zues speakers in my trac and man... how awesome is music now haha. Hifonics makes some of the best bang for your buck speakers and amps out there. I got 4 speakers and a 4 channel amp from sonix for $189... that wasnt even a sale

Anything is better than the crappy stock paper speakers. Im looking at some Memphis Audio or JL Audio speakers now and i know for a fact they sound great.

It sucks it looks like you have to take the whole damn door panel of instead of being able too just remove the grill.

Yep the whole thing has to come off but its not as bad as it sounds.

It tool me 10 minutes to take the door panel off. Go to YouTube and search for the video from 1aauto.com or the video from motorz. I was scared to death but after just going for it I learned its pretty easy.

The stock dimensions are 6x9. You don't need brackets with that size.

They're 6x8, not 6x9, right? I just got two pairs of kicker 2 ways for under $100, they're great, guy on ebay had like 10 sets when I bought them.

whoops! 6x8 my bad :) haha. And Kicker? Really? Dont turn the knob up to loud... the lower end model kickers have terrible reliability... Hifonics, Pioneer, and Dual have some quality stuff. I personally love my Hifonics stuff! Came with a bunch of goodies like stickers and a few feet of extra speaker wire, lifetime warrenty, and a 20% off coupon from Hifonics! Jusssss sayin

Yeah I think they're ds68's? Don't know where they range on the spectrum, but they were a good deal. The previous owner had 2 pioneer 3 ways and 2 pioneer 2 ways in there, and idk how old they were, but in the like 3/3.5 months before I replaced them I blew 3 of them. The kickers (to me) sound better than the pioneers when all four worked, and I HAD to replace them asap

Hey guys just to clarify I'm getting ready to replace my door speakers also now that I have my sub and head unit installed. The front and back speakers are both 6x8 correct? Just trying to figure out what I'm going to buy.

Yes, both front and back door speakers are factory 6x8" speakers. You can either cut away alittle metal and fit 6x9"'s in there or get some components speakers that come with a 6x8 plate they are mounted to and put those in there .

To remove the door is as simple as removing one plastic cover that's above the door handle, remove two screws, remove two screws on bottom edge of door, you don't realy have to disconnect the door switches but it does make it easier, and pop back the plastic retaining clips that hold the door in place, really easy.

I'll see if I have the pictures from when I did mine and upload them for you guys.

Awesome, thanks Midnight much appreciated!

Ok, so the plastic cover I mentioned is pictured here just above the door handle, you just pop that up and off to access the two screws, then you pop up the panel the door switches are on and you can disconnect the pigtails, next remove the two screws on the bottom edge of the door, then pop the door panel off, the plactic retaining clips will pop off as you pull out on door panel.

Here's some pictures...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Once you remove a door panel once, your set for life. Never scared to rip it off again or rip one off a new car :p:

Polk Audio and Boston Acoustics are probably the best speakers out there. IMHO :)

Nice, I've taken my drivers door panel off a bunch of times, never realized there were screws behind the door handle. :wtf:

Ok, so the plastic cover I mentioned is pictured here just above the door handle, you just pop that up and off to access the two screws, then you pop up the panel the door switches are on and you can disconnect the pigtails, next remove the two screws on the bottom edge of the door, then pop the door panel off, the plactic retaining clips will pop off as you pull out on door panel.

Here's some pictures...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Whats your price range? What kind of music do you listen to?

I personally like alpine. They have real clear highs. You said you have a sub so no need for alot of bass from door speakers. For my alpines i had i didnt have much cash and went with the type S 6x9. Didnt amp those speakers and i beat the crap outta them and they just gave more and more. Loved them.

Clusterpup, I'm not sure if the '02 is any different then the '03 door panel. I know there are two different types of door panels for the ST's, one have the speaker grille as part of the door panel (round and plastic and the other is like mine with the speaker grille metal and rectangular. Maybe the other type doesn't have those screws but I would think they did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll take a look when I hop in my truck to drive home from work. It's possible I just ripped them out.

Back