speaker replacement.. what dont fit, is made to fit :-D | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speaker replacement.. what dont fit, is made to fit :-D

SwaintaN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Carey, Ohio (Georgia Grown)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Ok so i had stock speakers in the rear doors, i replaced the speakers in front doors a while back.. a LONG while back... theyve been blown a while.. got me a good deal on (4) 6.5 Jensen speakers 280 watt per pair. This worked out nice.. So now 4 of the 8 speakers are replaced.

Front Doors. The speakers were obshaped paired to the hole for the speakers. This is fine, line up two of the holes. Used self tapping metal screws then made a few more holes. Made it sound lot nicer.

Rear doors.. This was a great find.. There speakers there again, wont fit. Nothing a grinder couldnt fit, massage the metal out at top to fit a 6.5" instead of 5x7, now loud in nice. So 4 speakers done out of 8

Nice find is there is an open whole in the bottom of the rear doors where it looked like a factory speaker placement might have been, but wasnt.. Well want a little bump not much but dont wanna loose space.. So... with this nice find i got a trick im gonna try.

Each rear door has that opening. So found (2) 6.5" SUBWOOFERs meant for open air.. Gonna mount them in there with a small amp hidden in back. This way loosing no cargo space, already lost a good bit with the third row.

Ill get pics as soon as the subs come in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't expect much bumb with small free air subs mounted in a door. Having said that, small subs will go lower than the co-axials and could certainly make the sound much fuller. Further, I agree, a useful placement for sub in a vehicle difficult to make subs fit without compromise...you've done well.

Front and rear door are design for 6x8 if you want to install anything other then that you need an adapter. You either have purchase or make the adapter

Parli22 is right, the stock speaker size is 6x8. You can find some good stuff in that size for not too much money though. Check eBay. Another option is to wait for a half price day at your local junkyard, and pull them from just about any Ford. On two separate occasions I found a full set of nearly new speakers (one Polk, one Pioneer) and got the full set for under $20.

Already installed the 6.5 inch speakers in all the doors. Rear doors just needed a little grinder work. Front just needed turned and drilled a few holes.

I have 6.5 Polk MM's and had to grind a bit and then added some Dyna mat to helps with vibes...these bump impressively and doors are notorious for vibrating. I placed the dynamat around the speaker and inside the window cavity...works way better than one thinks.

Amazon also has some screamin deals now and then. I picked up my 2 sets for less than $75 bucks a set, new, with free shipping.

Yeah my 4 6.5 inch speakers were 60. They are jensen 280 watt per set. Thinking of 2 6.5 subs in rear doors doing 300 end each ran off of an amp. Later do a10 in the rear over the tire in that cargo area.

Back