• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Speaker suggestions?

Digitalgp

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘07 Limited & ‘15 XLT
Hello all. Recently picked up a ‘15 xlt with the 9 speaker system. Soundwise it leaves a bit to be desired compared to the Sony factory stereo in my ‘12 Fusion and the audiophile in my ‘07 Explorer.

I’m looking for your guys recommendations on speakers. Nothing showstopping, just something with better highs & better lows that won’t require me to hack up my doors. Just wanting it to sound more on par with my other two Ford’s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
There are many threads on 'audio upgrades'. Here are just a couple I found using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

Toddman41

Reaction score
City, State
Herculaneum, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer Limited
Personally I've always been a fan of Infinity door speakers and JL & Sundown Audio subs.

Digitalgp

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘07 Limited & ‘15 XLT
Thanks for the info. Mine isn’t the Sony system though.

Are those 6x9’s in the front doors? Thats what seems to come up for the non-sony systems. Any issues with mounting depth?

Toddman41

Reaction score
City, State
Herculaneum, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer Limited
Thanks for the info. Mine isn’t the Sony system though.

Are those 6x9’s in the front doors? Thats what seems to come up for the non-sony systems. Any issues with mounting depth?
According to Crutchfield.com they are 6 1/2 speakers in the front door. But, 6x9s also will fit to.

Digitalgp

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘07 Limited & ‘15 XLT
Toddman41 that’s where my confusion is setting in

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My 2015 XLT has 6x9 in front, 6 1/2 in back door

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My system is the same as yours, non sony. I started out by replacing my sync2 with sync3. Then purchased a pigtail for acm to add sub. Next went to Crutchfield and purchased the 6x9 powerbass speakers, direct replacement. I had some alpine 6 1/2” in a box at home and purchased the adapters for fitment. I got a 3 1/2” from a member and replaced the center. The 2 in the very back will be replaced with the same 3 1/2” that i used in center, when i get industrious.

Digitalgp

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘07 Limited & ‘15 XLT
Cool. That’s more than I’m going for here. I believe these are the powerbass 6x9’s you were talking about. Definitly seems like a good place to start.

I’m sure I’ll eventually get around to all the other ones. Thank you all for your help

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3