Speakers cut out when the volume is turned up too high. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speakers cut out when the volume is turned up too high.

Turbo2449

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi this is my first thread plus its early morning so please bear with me, i have a 1999 explorer eddie beaur and i installed a aftermarket HU to my truck along with subs and amp but my problem is when i turn up the volume to a point my speakers would cut in and out but the subs will run just normal... i heard thing about factory amp not having enough power to handle the HU or my factory speaker are just not good enough i was hoping someone can help me tackle this problem by either getting nre speakers or bypassing the factory amp. thanks

btw i have the 5.0 v8 with premium sound the one with the sub in the back but idc about that sub just being able to turn the nob up without the speakers cutting out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to install an amp! Overworking the HU will cause it to self protect. Turn the bass down until you add some more power.

check the impedence of the speakers. if they are too low the deck is going into a protection mode. It sounds like you have a bad speaker in the system somewhere. An amp most likely will not solve this. most reputable amps will do the same thing. going into protect when the impedence goes low. They are doing this so the amp in the deck doesnt go bad. it may also be caused by your factory amp also.

IMO replace the speakers, and rewire them bypassign the factory amp.

You can use the fader and balance to check for a bad speaker. :;):

Back