• Register Today It's free!

Speakers upgrade?

paulfrank285

Reaction score
City, State
Union, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 EXP XLT
Wondering if it's possible or easy enough (DIY) to replace all the speakers with better ones? I am not going to replace all speakers once I receive my car, but may be in couple more years down the road.

I ordered a XLT with 202A (8 speakers)...not sure about the config...probably 2 tweeters and 2 speakers on each front side? then 2 for each side of 2nd row, and 2 for 3rd row on each side?...

not sure what kinda speakers I am getting...hope they are not those cheapy paper-cones!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i hope the Tweezers dont puncture the speakers lol

I think you'll like the sound quality of the factory system. It's pretty good.

I think you'll like the sound quality of the factory system. It's pretty good.

I agree, and the Sony system in my Limited is the best factory system I've ever heard. Stunning.

I agree the Sony is very nice. My daughter already found the bass adjustment and I can't put up with more than 1 or 2 notches of bass boost. Also, at half volume, the system is LOUD. I let my daughter see what 3/4 volume was like and made her turn it down. I can't imagine this on 100%.

100% shakes your eardrums and your booty.

As I pointed out, I only ordered an XLT with 202A...only has 8 speakers, and it is not Sony branded with 12 speakers like the system on Limited....

i am not rich like you guys who can afford the Limited! :D

As I pointed out, I only ordered an XLT with 202A...only has 8 speakers, and it is not Sony branded with 12 speakers like the system on Limited....

i am not rich like you guys who can afford the Limited! :D

I'm in the same boat as you, ordered the XLT. I hope the speakers are good enough. A local custom stereo shop recommended an amp and speaker upgrade. But he said he had no info on the 2011 explorer. He only had specs for the 2010.

Please post what you do for an upgrade.

Something to consider on the XLT 202A system is that the Limited as a sub-woofer located on the PS, all the way in the back. Apparently there is an indent in the side panel for where it sits. This might be a nice way to kick up the sound quality of the system not for pounding base but to fill in that entire back void. I have little doubt that down the road we'll see this part available and then you can tap into the RR speaker, install an amp for the sub and do an install.

My Explorer is an XLT, not a Limited...and the sound quality is quite good.

Something to consider on the XLT 202A system is that the Limited as a sub-woofer located on the PS, all the way in the back. Apparently there is an indent in the side panel for where it sits. This might be a nice way to kick up the sound quality of the system not for pounding base but to fill in that entire back void. I have little doubt that down the road we'll see this part available and then you can tap into the RR speaker, install an amp for the sub and do an install.

limited's sony system with 12 speakers has a sub-woofer too? i didn't know that...yea, i see a big hole in the truck (a storage on right side)...i am thinking about to add a sub-woofer there too! :D

Im young with an xlt 201A, and i think the stereo system is garbage. Very muffled, no definition, just over all junk. But, thats just my opinion, and thats comparing it to VW's autobahn sound system.

keep the stock head unit just add on a signal cleaning processor it will clean it up like an aftermarket unit and just add some quality amps and speakers and a sub usually JL audio or MTX will have something soon and it will be perfect . i plan on doing this to my X with the Sony system its just not good enough for me!

im also trying to hunt down the part number for the center speaker about the head unit from the sony system, plan to wire that in after i get a signal processor for my xlt. just waiting for them to come out with stuff for the explorer, and of course, spare cash, with $4 a gallon now.

keep the stock head unit just add on a signal cleaning processor it will clean it up like an aftermarket unit and just add some quality amps and speakers and a sub usually JL audio or MTX will have something soon and it will be perfect . i plan on doing this to my X with the Sony system its just not good enough for me!

Wow - you're the first that I've heard this from regarding the Sony system. I've been spoiled by the JBL Synthesis system in my current vehicle and I was hoping that the Sony would be up to my audio standards. I guess I'll have to wait and see now.

I cant imagine having to buy 6 sets of quality speakers...damn near a grand for some high quality ones!

Wow Chimmy,
You must be some picky. I had my Ex down at the Honda dealer the other day, picking up a friend. The salesmen all came running (and I mean running) out to see the Ex. It was hilarious, I had four Honda salesmen sitting in my Ex, all going ohhhh and ahhhhh. Luckily MFT for me works like a charm, I was showing it to them and they were amazed, the nav package blew them away. Then..... I turned on the Sony system, they couldn't believe how crisp and clean it sounded. While they were looking, two or three customers came over and started poking around. If I had only had a camera, I could have sold this to Ford to use a commercial. LMAO. Cheers.

Im young with an xlt 201A, and i think the stereo system is garbage. Very muffled, no definition, just over all junk. But, thats just my opinion, and thats comparing it to VW's autobahn sound system.

Mine's a 202A and mine has good definition and clarity. I'm usually pretty picky when it comes to my sound systems, and this is the best stock system I've ever had.

I'm not into window rattling base, I prefer a well balanced sound with good crisp highs and a clean bass line.

It's not concert hall quality, but for a vehicular sound system, it's pretty dang good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jdraper, you have the same system i have the 201 & 202 are identical for the sound system. Im not into waking the neighbors with bass either, just want clear crips highs and lows, mine all sounds muffled together with no definition. Then again, they are replacing my amp because it pops when it starts up, so hopefully, that will improve it a bit. Im just comparing it to previous systems, which sounded so much clearer.

Back