Speaking of tents: Old Parts Needed | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Speaking of tents: Old Parts Needed

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
Yep, you read it right. I'm trying to find a source for some OLD tent parts. I've got a 1975 vintage Coleman Oasis 13x9 canvas tent whose poles had an unfortunate run-in with an F-150 about three years ago.

The tent itself was a hand-me-down from my parents who received it as a wedding present. Sure, it's not pack-able (the tent itself has to weigh at least 55 lbs dry, maybe 95 wet!!) but it'll weather any storm better than any tent I've ever used. It's got a lot of sentimental value (I grew up camping in it) and the canvas itself is still in excellent shape. I loaned it to my brother who left the pole bag on the floor of my parents garage where a couple of the poles met an un-timely death. Apparently the bag fell over, and the truck flattened the ends of two of the ridge tubes. Soooooo.....

I've been trying to come up with some sources of old tent parts. I spoke with Omar the Tent Man (someplace near Seattle) and he told me that in those days, there were three major tent manufacturers, and they all used similar poles for their tents. Many of the poles and components were interchangable. I could have him make me a new set of poles (which wouldn't include the plastic bits that connect everything) for a mere $400, but he had all the prints and such for them. I figured I'd exhaust every last resource before resorting to that. Sooooo.....

Does anyone, by any chance, have an old tent and/or poles from around that time they're willing to part with or looking to get rid of? It's a long shot, but you never know, and it can't hurt to ask.

Also, if anyone sees one, the specific model I have is a 'Coleman Oasis 13 x 9'. Mine was built in 1975, but they sold that same tent from roughly '71-'79. The date was supposed to be stamped on the instructions on the inside of the front flap. Mine is there, but VERY faint.

Any help anyone can give would certainly be appreciated. SOMEone out there has got to run an old tent repository of some sort. I mean, people will collect ANYthing!!

-Joe

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

<

pickupman

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
long before Gander mountain started all the stores OTHER Than the one up in southern WI, and sold their ctalog, they used to carry poles which i believe would have fit the bill.... you might just take a trip to your closest Bass Pro / Cabellas / Gander Mountain and see what they have....

<

Explorer#2

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Alabama,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Some of us dont have Cabellas/Gander Mountains. i have been to both and love Cabellas, I just cant wait for the Bass Pro shop, Alabama is getting one in Leeds about ten min. away from my house.

<

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
I used to have a few but threw them away a few years ago, good luck.

<