special tools ? cylinder head removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

special tools ? cylinder head removal

norvin

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal Quebec Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
i've got to do head gaskets on my 93' 4.0litre. I just browsed through the Haynes manual because it was right there in the washroom during my morning constitutional (good bathroom reading) and noticed that they impy that three <special> tools are required to pull the heads...any truth to this ?
thanks - marc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont think that anything any more special than a large torx bit are required, but all i've ever worked on is a second gen

No special tools. They are probably just talking about a straight edge to make sure your surfaces are still flat and true; and then the torx bit (if its needed), and then other various tools that no one considers special.

-Drew

special tools reply

thanks for your comments- aside from a tox bit- which i dont consider special, they comment on a special cam puller, a harmonic balancer clamp .
i think the premise of these particular special tools is help lock the engine on TDC for simple reassembly, but i'm not sure. i've never needed special equipment (aside from an already well equipemd shop) for a head job before.but as i said. Haynes claim these tools are essential. i'll give it a try though. after my 91' blew head gaskets i picked up another Ex while i could get the first one back up again. thaks
marc

Don't forget about the fuel line connecting releaser dealios! :p

dont need fuel line tools. not sure if your truck has an inertia switch like mine, but if it does, disconnect the connector on it and run your truck till it dies. all this is covered in the haynes manual. my fuel lines just un bolted from my fuel rail. as for harmonic balancer tools and whatnot, you shouldnt need those to pull the heads.

91 you will need the fuel line disconect tool. You will want to release the pressure in the fuel system (i used the valve at the fuel rail)

T-50 is the torx bit for the heads if i remember correctly. For the harmonic balancer you will need a puller tool. If you look in the 1991-1994 modified trucks forum, and find my thread on building 'the mean 4.0...' Look on page 6 i believe, i explained what you need to do to remove the harmonic balancer, pretty simple once you get the concept.

You dont need a cam puller. Two t-30 torx bits, and a t-40 if i remember correctly. They might be referring to the removal of the cam bearings... i just had my machine shop do that for me. The rod nuts are like 16mm, the mainbolts are 18-19mm. pretty straightforward.

anybody know what i would need for my 2000 4.0 xlt as i just might be need to clean the combustion chamber and is this a job i can pull on a boring sunday since its my only day off? and i've never done this type of job before im a diy as all might be on here as well lol

anybody know what i would need for my 2000 4.0 xlt as i just might be need to clean the combustion chamber and is this a job i can pull on a boring sunday since its my only day off? and i've never done this type of job before im a diy as all might be on here as well lol

its allitle bit harder on a newer 4.0 like that.....they have overhead cams so you are looking at removing all the chains and not messing up the timing. deffinately need more know how for those ones....not to say that you couldnt do it...just make sure you read up on it first. deffinately not a sunday job unless you have a well equiped shop at your disposal

ok lol well i wont take it upon my self i'll just save a grand and a half and take it to the dealer. anyknow what a job like that would cost? oh and my problem is my car is knockin i used seafoam in my x and after it stared knocking i dont think it has anything to do with the timing and tensioners and whatever else causes knocking but if someone tells me otherwise i'll take their word for it so some help will be appreciated from all

Back