• Register Today It's free!

Speed Control Recall

xman98

Reaction score
City, State
home-Norwalk, CT school-Springfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I just got home and after reading threads and other articles its good to finally see ford recalled the speed control.
1994-2002 F-250/350/450/550
1994-1996 E-150/250/350
1996-2002 E-450
2000-2002 Excur.
and the one that effects me....
1998 Explorer/Mounty

what i want to know is why only these year of explorer because alot that i have heard/read about arent just 98's. It also says if anyone did have this fixed before the recall that they would pay for the repair to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are some other threads on this. The reason they only recalled the 98 is because the switch is always Hot (voltage always applied even when the key is off). For the 97, the switch is Hot in Run, so the truck will only catch on fire while it is running unlike the 98 which can also catch on fire overnight in the driveway. ;)

kfkodiak said:
Us '98s got the special garage inferno package. :fire:

seems to be so...called my local ford dealership and got an apt. for tuesday.

They should recall the other Explorers (97 -01) also IMO. My 97 switch was leaking badly and I lost about half of the brake fluid in the reservoir before I realized it. My cruise control was also out, meaning that the corrosion products had already shorted out the switch.

Their reasoning for recalling the 98 is purely on the statistics; they have determined a higher failure rate than the other Explorers.

I think that they will probably have to extend this recall later, just like they had to extend the Firestone Wilderness AT recall.

Attachments

• IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35,686
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,912
  • IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,896

my explorer wasn't offically included in the recall, but i had them put in the relay with the fuse they did it for $25 and it only took like 20mins. Also, they wrote "Sweet blue explorer" on my key tag.

-Rich

haha well i got mine done and the on the tag it says the color is "dirty" i though that was funny...im not a fan of the way they did it tho. two zipties on top of the silver pipe/wire thing(not sure what its called) and it dosn't look good if your a ricer-good thing im not.

Back