Speed govenor How to get rid of it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed govenor How to get rid of it

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Ok Guys, I have a 2001 3.0L and my daughter has a 2002 XLT 4.0L SOHC Ranger. We want to get rid of the speed govenor that keeps us from going over 90MPH. Any help would be most appreciated. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hypertech programmer, jet, superchip, diablo, apten,etc

Thanks guys, but I was under the imperssion that the aftermarket chips did not override the speed governor. Has this been changed?

depends on the chip. some do, some don't.

SuperChips will remove the govenor, but you have to request it when you tell them your code. I have a SuperChip in my '02 4.0L and love it. I also had one in my '94 4.0L and loved that one too.

--Sean

Alec,
Which ones and how much?

Sean,

Thanks for the info, just one more question.
I don't want to use premium gas, and only want to get rid of the speed govenor. Can I still use 87 octane gas with the chip?

Ray, for that you should either get the programmer which should let you choose your octane, or a custom chip. Superchip, Reinhart, or Apten should all be able to do this for you. You should of course know about the Apten threads, and Reinhart recently started a thread about his chips. Reinhart could make you a flip chip to switch between 87 and 93 for not much more.

Like Alec said, you will have to let them know when they burn the chip what you want. I didn't realize that you weren't looking for any performance gains. The programmer for the the Ranger is very, very weak for performance gains and only gives you a fraction of the options to modify the computer vs. say the F-150 or SD programmer. But if all you are looking to is remove the limiter, it will probably be fine for your application.

--Sean

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
[B We want to get rid of the speed govenor that keeps us from going over 90MPH. :) [/B]
Hey Ray, ........ummm, WHY? :eek:

Hi Bill,
Go to the dealer and ask to hear an the engine in one of the new Rangers, then rev the engine above 3Krpm and see what it does. The old speed governors would just not let you go over the set speed limit, but on my Ranger and my daughters, when you get up to 90mph the truck starts to buck, and I dont like it. So I want to get rid of it.

Oh, so it's an RPM thing, then?! I thought you were wanting to drive over 90. On a regular basis. :eek:

What's wrong with that?

why is the governer at 90? my truck would go like 106 or something stock? why would ford have different limits on different models. btw- mine now goes over 120!

expo5.0,
It's only on the Rangers. My Explorer doesn't have a speed govenor.

Bill, Yea, it is an RPM thing. I don't need to go 90 all the time in the Ranger, but I do love doing it in the Passat. Maybe that's why Sandy doesn't let me drive it that much.:D

well, that explains that.

amazing then, that my mods have made such a difference.

do you guys know if the escape is governed? i haven't had my brothers up fast at all

my govenor kicks in at 100, not just for rangers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kingsleysurf,
Are you sure that it's a govenor? I have taken my Explorer over 100 mph before. I wonder when they started doing that?:confused:

Back