• Register Today It's free!

speed senser problem

bronco466

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth ill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
I have couple things that i need help with. The first is i am getting ready to do the sas on my 2000 mounty i have a 9inch ford rear end i am plaining on using.The problem is that it does not have a speed senser but the transfer case i am going to use does how hard would it be to make this work for me the trans fer case is out of a 97 ford f150 it is 4406. If this wont work what would happen if i didnt have a speed senser at all? I know that i wont have a speedo that aint a big deal my gps will make up for that. I would greatly aperciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I understand, you need the speed sensor. It and the abs sensor are one unit 98 and up, so the pcm harness will not allow use of the sensor in the transfer case from what I understand. I may be wrong about this.

You may need to make a "tone ring" using the stock sensor wired in

Check post #249, on page 13 of this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160724&highlight=tone+ring

the speed sensor in the 4406 for 99+ is a magnetic tone ring just like the ABS sensor in the explorer 8.8.

do some research and verify, but I believe this sensor CAN take the place of the ABS sensor in the axle

thank u guys now if i do not have speed senser what will that do to my trany

bad bad things

Back