Speedo Cable Location, Where to start? 1993 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedo Cable Location, Where to start? 1993 Explorer

Dj's Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
Hey guys,

So Im wondering if the speedo location, etc is the same on all models 91-94, I believe 95-97 is when they changed the model?

I just got mine, and would love if I could get the speedo to work.

It only has 76k Miles for a 93!

Id rather fix the speedo problem myself, or find out what exactly is causing the speedo not to work.

Anyone have any diagrams, or photos of where to start? I dont know where the location of the speedo cable is on the explorer.

Do these vehicles have a speed sensor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cable itself often goes bad causing a jerky, erratic speedo reading or no reading at all.

The speedo cable runs from the transfer case straight up to the speedometer in the dash. It's not too hard to replace.

The cable itself often goes bad causing a jerky, erratic speedo reading or no reading at all.

The speedo cable runs from the transfer case straight up to the speedometer in the dash. It's not too hard to replace.

Where do I look for the transfer case tho? Underside, under the hood. I dont kno where to start... Im pretty handy with stuff. Photo maybe what it looks like so i can start there?

Ya I really like it, its pretty clean considering that the body is still kinda boxy.

It reminds me of my dads old ranger I had when I was in high school. the ranger when he sold it has 367,000 miles on it cause i drove it everywhere. It never gave any problems whatso ever for its entire life.

I have 2 other SUV's, a 4 runner and a Isuzu Rodeo. Both dont drive or ride like this one for its age.

Where do I look for the transfer case tho? Underside, under the hood. I dont kno where to start... Im pretty handy with stuff. Photo maybe what it looks like so i can start there?

Ya I really like it, its pretty clean considering that the body is still kinda boxy.

It reminds me of my dads old ranger I had when I was in high school. the ranger when he sold it has 367,000 miles on it cause i drove it everywhere. It never gave any problems whatso ever for its entire life.

I have 2 other SUV's, a 4 runner and a Isuzu Rodeo. Both dont drive or ride like this one for its age.

i have a 94 on mine its towards the top and a little to the left of the rear of the transfer case or the where ur drive shaft connects to the transfer case

Back