speedo gear color for 35's and 4.56s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speedo gear color for 35's and 4.56s

RobbieJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Does any one know which color speedo gear I need for 35's and 4.56s? I know tons of people are funnung this set up. thanks Robbie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robbie-
You shouldn't need to change the speedo gear. I'm running that setup and it is very close to stock. I don't think you can get it any closer. Driving next to my dad I asked him how fast we were going when mine said 70 and he said his read 72.

colin, how did you drive next to your dad and still be able to communicate and drive at above the legal limit for california?

Originally posted by Fenderguy
Robbie-
You shouldn't need to change the speedo gear. I'm running that setup and it is very close to stock. I don't think you can get it any closer. Driving next to my dad I asked him how fast we were going when mine said 70 and he said his read 72.

It will still depend on what his overall gear ratio was stock. If his RPM/speed is still the same, then no he wouldn't need a new speedometer gear. If he originally had 28" tires and a 3.73 then his overall ratio is within 3% so a gear wouldn't do much. However, if he had 28" tires and a 3.55 or 3.08 then he could use a new gear.

It was 3.73s and 235's. I guess It should be ok then. Thanks Guys Robbie

Back