• Register Today It's free!

Speedo Gear Gonzo

original91

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer Red 4x4
After replacing two speedo gears, I realized two things about my 91 Eddie Bauer 4x4 when the speedometer no longer worked...one, overdrive don't work as well, and two, the gears in the housing were the culprit not the easy one that I replaced on the end of the speedo cable( darn crap shoot SOB).

All I can do is put my finger in speedo cable hole and feel where the gears in the housing are sort of scalloped out and have a Homer Simpson epiphany DOCH! while wishing I could slap silly the engineer that designed it. And I thought it was the easy fix! Hah!!! gear on the end of the cable my eye...NOT(POS design).

OK so how much of a mess is it to remove the housing where the rear drive shaft hooks up and change that stupid plastic internal gear?...I'd like to use my overdrive, my gas mileage is bad enough. Or do I want to know?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The PCM gets a signal from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) that is turned by that plastic gear, O/D won't engage unless it gets the proper signal from the VSS, it can also impact your ABS too, air/fuel ratio, spark-advance, cruise-control etc. To get to that gear you mentioned, I think it can be done by first disconnecting the rear drive shaft, then the front drive-shaft (I think), then the transfer-case then the tail-housing extension. Hopefully one of the transmission guru's here will chime in if that is incorrect as I've never had mine apart.

you have to take the transfer case completely apart

Thanks Guys. I was afraid I had to tear apart the whole transfer case. What a bummer, one piece of highly inaccesible plastic and the whole thing runs like crap. With loyalists like us who needs bailout money!

Thanks Guys. I was afraid I had to tear apart the whole transfer case. What a bummer, one piece of highly inaccesible plastic and the whole thing runs like crap. With loyalists like us who needs bailout money!
Hi , I am having the same problems, did you get yours fixed? and did you have to pull your transfer case off to fix this? I want to be double sure before I go ahead with this

You don't have to take the transfer case apart!! All you have to do is 1. Remove rear driveshaft from the output flange. 2. Remove the flange itself.(I believe it's a 30mm nut.) 3. Pry out the output seal. 4. stick your finger in the speedometer hole and push out the aforementioned gear. (It just slides right out) Reassembly is opposite, just use a new output seal, as you probably buggered up the existing one getting it out!:p And it's that easy! :D

You don't have to take the transfer case apart!! All you have to do is 1. Remove rear driveshaft from the output flange. 2. Remove the flange itself.(I believe it's a 30mm nut.) 3. Pry out the output seal. 4. stick your finger in the speedometer hole and push out the aforementioned gear. (It just slides right out) Reassembly is opposite, just use a new output seal, as you probably buggered up the existing one getting it out!:p And it's that easy! :D
Thanks for your reply but the gear will not move out of the hole!!!! it is free spinning on the shaft but will not move either way!!

Are you saying you did this with your 97? I can't believe this pos won't come off the shaft, there is no reason for it not too, it's probably stuck I find it very hard to believe the engineers would make it impossible to replace a stupid plastic gear like this

Are you saying you did this with your 97? I can't believe this pos won't come off the shaft, there is no reason for it not too, it's probably stuck I find it very hard to believe the engineers would make it impossible to replace a stupid plastic gear like this
gadget has a first gen iirc, so i dont think a. 97... feel free to correc me though! ;)

Yup, brain fart!!:rolleyes: Sorry about that, mistakenly thought this was for a 1st gen!

Back