dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Quick Question.

The vehicle has a cable driven speedometer rather than computer controlled like in my X. If this needle were to be removed how do I recalibrate the speedo. I know the rest of the gauges are not relevant to this question. Just the Speedo.

My Chiltons tells me that I can't remove it or the speedo will fall out of calibration, and it can not be reset.

I think they are wrong, but am looking for confirmation. My thoughts are to take the vehicle out on the freeway. Bring it up to 60 mph as reported by my GPS and stick the needle back on pointed at 60 mph.

Will this work and be accurate throughout the speed range?????

P.S.
I had no clue were to post this :confused: Hope "Sport truck interior accesories" is somewhat close as you guys often have custom gauges which would require the removal of the needle......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used a lot of trial and error to get both the tach and speedo back when I swapped out the needles and overlays from an '02 Sport onto my '00 Sport, and then to the Eddie. I used a Scangauge to compare the speed/tach settings recorded internally vs the needles. Took a while but it's very doable.

GPS should work for speed. You're not worried about RPM?

:D
celly said:
I used a lot of trial and error to get both the tach and speedo back when I swapped out the needles and overlays from an '02 Sport onto my '00 Sport, and then to the Eddie. I used a Scangauge to compare the speed/tach settings recorded internally vs the needles. Took a while but it's very doable.

GPS should work for speed. You're not worried about RPM?

I did not realize that the tach would be an issue as it is all on the old computer system EEC IV or whatever. I was under the impression that all of my gauges were mechanical rather than computer controlled and would just sit at the bottom untill power went to them. Well except for the speedo as the needle likes to move on it's own. The tach I was able to move around the face. I returned it to 0 and pulled the needle straight off. Hopefully it is not all skewed now :fire:

P.S. I am talking about my 90 5.0 Mustang. If that helps anyone trying to respond to this thread. When I get done I'll post up what I am doing in my Mustang Registry. In short I hate green dashlights, and I refuse to pay big bucks for a new set, nor do I want white faces as I like my all black and grey interior......so I am turning these blue, and purple, and green, and yellow, and red, and orange, and .....

Thanks for the reply Celly!

Anybody know specifically whether the Tach will be an issue for this car. I am not sure how I can re-calibrate it if so. Well other than the fact that cold idle is at precisely 1200 RPM and warm idle sits right at 950. Took too damn long getting it dialed in where it ran smooth not to know where it idles by now. Possibly I can just start it and stick the needle on where it goes?

on another aplication. I just had a friend I knew had an accurate speedo go 50mph on a large 4 lane country road(almos an interstate). onece he gave me the ok and I had matched his speed with my cruise control I simply stuck the needle down were it needed to be. havn;t had any issues since. it kind of odd though sine half your dahs has to be off the truck.

conig said:
on another aplication. I just had a friend I knew had an accurate speedo go 50mph on a large 4 lane country road(almos an interstate). onece he gave me the ok and I had matched his speed with my cruise control I simply stuck the needle down were it needed to be. havn;t had any issues since. it kind of odd though sine half your dahs has to be off the truck.

Thank you for the confirmation on how to recalibrate the speedo.

Anyone have further input on the tachometer?????

just a though.....if the gauges are the same for the x and the mustang(tach wise) i think(I THINK) you record were the tach is when you roate the key forward and then take it off and put it off from there.

Back