speedometer and odometer not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speedometer and odometer not working

swordbreaker3

Reaction score
City, State
nm
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport trac
please help. a friend of mine was switching my battery the other day and he didnt pay attention connecting the new one. some how he switched the terminals and now my speedometer and odometer dont work. also wipers and cab lights dont either. but dash lights do. please help me. i found out that the door bell doesnt work either. i checked all fuses and they are ok. im just stuck. please reply asap. thnx in advance:rolleyes:

2001 sport trac 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you check fuses in engine compartment?

yes, all are good. relays too. from what ive been reading i think its the gem, generic electrical module, does n e one have n e pics of this module, and were its located. also will i have to reprogram it. thnx

looks like it's behind the radio
from Service manual:

µ 3. Remove the center instrument panel finish panel.

1 Remove the screws.

2 Remove the center instrument panel finish panel.

l Disconnect the electrical connectors.
µ 4. Remove the GEM.

1 Remove the bolt.

2 Disconnect the electrical connectors from the GEM.
5. CAUTION:
Once the new module is installed, it is necessary to download module configuration information from the appropriate diagnostic tool into the new module. For additional information, refer to «Section 418-01».

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Back