Speedometer "Flutter" or shake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer "Flutter" or shake

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

Kesp4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I have looked at a number of threads referencing the speedometer "bounce" which is what I was experiencing when I finally got my 1993 Explorer back on the road after a decade of sitting. I would get up to 35 mph or so and it would bounce wildly around, which is something I've experienced with almost every restoration I've done, all remedied by installing a new cable. I've replaced the speedometer cable and now when I drive the vehicle the speedometer needle sort of "flutters" its way up the spectrum, in a way I can only describe as like a weak old person trying to lift/point their finger. So I went from a speedo that bounced wildly around above 35 to one that moves up much more smoothly but in a shaky sort of manner.

Could this be from a failing speedometer gauge? Or the speed sensor that the cable hooks up to in the transmission? Or is the cable binding in the sheath? I did lubricate it before installing in the vehicle. The transmission has been rebuilt so I doubt it's the little speedo gear that's in there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First.... you now must get a Mr Burn's pointing overlay for your speedo...... 2nd did you lubricate the guage too on reinstall? I had the bounce for probably 60k and fixed with full removal , and lubricated the original guage and original cable. 40k later Hasn't returned . I haven't seen the flutter on the Ex, but have on motorcycle. Yet to conlude cause.
Easiest way to try to partially troubleshoot ( that I can think of) is disconnect from trans end, try to move the actual metal cable/coil in and out a bit a few times, in as far as it will go on the last time, reconnect to trans and see if it changed in any way. Easier to do when the cable is staightened out as much as possible. Can also attach to power drill and turn. If it doesn't flutter you , seems more likely problem is at the trans end. That's just thinking about it though, haven't tried. What is your mileage?

It could have a worn speedometer gear or a defective speed sensor. Does this issue occur when you tilt the steering wheel? Sometimes it could have pinched wiring in the column causing intermittent issues. Does your cruise control work?

Lol @Simpsons reference. I did not lubricate the speedo gauge itself. I’ll pull it apart again and try that. What should I use to lube it? I drove it today and the gauge itself started making a faint noise. The mileage is ~270k.
The issue does not come up when turning the wheel, although that explanation does make a lot of sense. I have not tried cruise but I’ll take it for a spin again and see if I can test it out. Thanks for the advice

I had this issue and this is what I found when I pulled my speed sensor apart. Came apart in pieces. Fixed it and is super smooth now.

3155C7CD-9FB6-4135-81FD-402D9989382D.jpeg

I had this issue and this is what I found when I pulled my speed sensor apart. Came apart in pieces. Fixed it and is super smooth now.
You are aware that those gears are different ?

You are aware that those gears are different ?
Yes… i do. Thanks

View attachment 422425
That's crazy how destroyed the first one is. Did that happen during removal, or was it broken on the vehicle?

Lol @Simpsons reference. I did not lubricate the speedo gauge itself. I’ll pull it apart again and try that. What should I use to lube it? I drove it today and the gauge itself started making a faint noise. The mileage is ~270k.
The issue does not come up when turning the wheel, although that explanation does make a lot of sense. I have not tried cruise but I’ll take it for a spin again and see if I can test it out. Thanks for the advice
Huh mine will bounce and be super high when it gets cold here in CO ( -10 to 25) usually it's about 10 percent lower speed then actual due to my tire size but I figured it's either cable grease or gauge. Anybody else does this only when it's cold?

Huh mine will bounce and be super high when it gets cold here in CO ( -10 to 25) usually it's about 10 percent lower speed then actual due to my tire size but I figured it's either cable grease or gauge. Anybody else does this only when it's cold?
Some of mine will bounce slightly no matter the temp. Ive never looked into the cause, as its not that severe. I have several old cars that do this same thing as well, only much worse. One of them is apart now and im going to try to do something with it and see how that works. Then i might tear into one of the explorers. Im sure a little Kroil spray down the cable would help.

@BrooklynBay nailed it

remove speed sensor from transfer case (tailhousing if rwd guys) and stick your finger in there feel the drive gear, is it worn in the middle?
Look in there with a mirror or boroscope I bet you find the drive gear is worn down and needs to be replaced
With high miles the nylon drive gears wear down and will cause a bouncing speedo even with a new VSS, new cable and lubed speedometer

Worn drive gear is my issue. Center of the gear is practically smooth! I use my GPS as a speedo now!:p

That's crazy how destroyed the first one is. Did that happen during removal, or was it broken on the vehicle?
It was broken in the housing. When I removed the speedo cable change out the gear the sensor fell apart. Glad I had a spare! Lol

a year ago, I bought a 94 2Dr Sport, 4.0L with 5 spd with 65,000 miles. sat a lot of years. Speedo works good til 60 mpg or so then wanders all over the place. took the gear off the transfer case and cleaned it. still the same. i had rotator cuff surgery Tuesday so now ill have to wait. going to lube the cable next to see if that helps, and check the gear inside the transfer case. any other suggestions?

If you can remove the speedo and try to lubricate the mechanism there, it might help. There is a magnetic drum that rotates around a metal drum that attaches to the needle. Its possible the mechanism is sticky within that part of the gauge. It's kind of a challenge to get the cable removed from the gauge cluster, but its doable with small hands.

If you can remove the speedo and try to lubricate the mechanism there, it might help. There is a magnetic drum that rotates around a metal drum that attaches to the needle. Its possible the mechanism is sticky within that part of the gauge. It's kind of a challenge to get the cable removed from the gauge cluster, but its doable with small hands.
Thanks! I'll try that when I get my arm out of the sling!

Happens to me on my 93' Sport with 411K.

It also bounces if I get up to the high numbers (65+) and have not in a long time. Did a 600 mile trip, for the first 20 miles I was doing around 80mph.....speedo was having it's "65...70....60...85.....I dunno!" moment, but later on it was dead-on accurate based on google maps and dead-locked onto whatever speed I happened to be going like brand new.. I'm guessing it slopped around the ol' lubricant and flung enough around to smooth things out, lol.

Happens to me on my 93' Sport with 411K.

It also bounces if I get up to the high numbers (65+) and have not in a long time. Did a 600 mile trip, for the first 20 miles I was doing around 80mph.....speedo was having it's "65...70....60...85.....I dunno!" moment, but later on it was dead-on accurate based on google maps and dead-locked onto whatever speed I happened to be going like brand new.. I'm guessing it slopped around the ol' lubricant and flung enough around to smooth things out, lol.
Funny how old vehicles do things on thier terms!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I removed the cluster again and tried adding some oil to the gauge (all of the various types of grease I had seemed too thick). Instead of fluttering it started doing a much smaller bounce and then it sort of evened out, but I'm not entirely sure that the speed it is indicating is accurate. I'm going to check the speed on my phone app and see how accurate it is. Everything is stock on the vehicle so I don't feel as if it needs a different gear. If the gauge seems inaccurate or begins to bounce again then I may purchase a new speed sensor just because this one is the original.

Back