F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Hey guys. Got a question...

A while back I replaced the tranny in my XL with a junkyard pull. I'm not sure exactly what vehicle it came from, but was told it was a '92 Explorer (did not get to see it for myself).

I plugged my existing, stock speedometer gear and cable into it (yellow) and found the speedometer to be really slow, been too long for me to remember but either 10 or 15 mph slower than my actual speed. I visited the Ford dealer and they sold me a 16 tooth, burgundy gear. Now, my speedometer is better but still reading too slow. About 63-64 mph when I'm really going 70 (GPS checked). I went back to the dealer and the parts counter dude said that's the lowest they have, and I really need like a 15 tooth gear. Otherwise, I have to change the gear inside the tranny (if I really do, then F it).

Is there another fix, like an aftermarket gear? Truck's a '92, 4x2, M5OD, 3.27 gearing, on 15''s (all terrain tires but of normal size). I didn't change anything else when we swapped in the tranny. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check Ebay for 15 tooth gears

Thanks there Masterd, but I searched for a few minutes but couldn't find anything. Tried like "ford speedometer gear" "speedometer gear 15" and a few others. I did indeed find some, but nothing with less than 16.

Maybe look at changing out your rear end gears.

I never seen a 15 tooth gear. The Ford dealers by my said they stopped making them a long time ago. 16 was the lowest. However you have stock tires with 3.27's so a 16-17(stock) tooth gear should be correct.

Back