• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer leaking

whitetrash96

Reaction score
City, State
East Kootenays
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
Ok so a while back my vent for my t-case melted and became plugged, which forced atf through my speedo cable and started leaking out of my dash and onto my brake pedal. I repaired the vent and hoped the leak would stop, it hasn't. Just wondering if other people have had this issue and how they fixed it. I'm wondering if there is an o-ring on the speedo cable I can replace or if I need a whole new speedo cable. Its only a drip but when wheeling it speeds up considerably and is making a mess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The seal in the VSS is shot.

When you are in 4wd the chain is turning so it throws a lot of fluid up to the top of the case, which will increase the amount leaking through the VSS, and in turn, up the speedo cable.

The VSS is cheap and easy to replace.

After the leak is stopped the drip in the cab will stop after some time.

Free lube job for your speedo cable!

Wow never heard of that -- could you use air to clean out the cable?

It's this dude right here:

main1_zps1df0e639.jpg

The speedo cable plugs into it. If the seal goes out, the trans fluid from the transfer case will leak into the cable.

The cable is a twisted steel braid, so it acts like a screw pulling the fluid up the cable. NO gravity required!

It's this dude right here:

main1_zps1df0e639.jpg

The speedo cable plugs into it. If the seal goes out, the trans fluid from the transfer case will leak into the cable.

The cable is a twisted steel braid, so it acts like a screw pulling the fluid up the cable. NO gravity required!

Thanks, this helps a lot.

:salute:

So picked one up at my local napa but it doesn't seem to be the right one, anyone know if they are different between manual and auto transmissions?

Okay so I did some digging on rock auto so I could see pictures and interchange years. According to rock auto I have the '91 style and was sold whats listed for '92. I'll have to go and exchange it. BTW the one FR425 pictured is the style I need with an o-ring where the spring clip goes.

No difference between manual and auto trans. This part is in the transfer case.

If your truck is 2wd then it will be different and is probably what the bone skull gave you.

Okay so I replaced the vss and all seemed well til I took it out wheeling, after wheeling the leak started again. Once I got home I crawled underneath and cut my vent and heard an immediate sucking noise which told me the vent had melted yet again. This time I kept my vent short and just ran it up my t-case linkage and back down. So far with street driving the leak has stopped.

It got me thinking about buying one of these kits since I do river crossings and such.

http://www.trail-gear.ca/rock-assault-9/axle-components/creeper-breather-differential-breather-kit/

Anybody have any experience with these for a vent?

What are you using for a vent that keeps melting?

Can you just run a rubber hose from the case up into your engine compartment (top of firewall area)?
This is how I've done mine and never had any issues (5/16" hose IIRC).

I've been using 1/4" braided beverage tubing, its what I got lots of and have been using it for years without issue til now. I could get some rubber hose as you suggest but I would suppose it would cost similar to the bellows I posted a link to. Just hoping someone on here might be using the bellows on a transmission/t-case or the like and give their experiences.

Back