• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer/Odometer Problem.

Dan.Falco

Reaction score
City, State
Guthrie, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 5.0 2WD 4Dr
OK, I have seen a lot of posts about speedometer/odometer issues, but I have not seen a fix for the speedometer yet in any of my searches. If this has already been addressed please point me tward that thread, if not I have a 1996 Ford Explorer and the odometer stopped working so I disassembled the instrument cluster and found the worm gear that drives the odometer is trashed and I was going to replace it myself, but when I reinstalled the cluster (temporarily while my worm gear was ordered) the speedometer is now not working; it's stuck at 50 MPH and increases with speed (not like it should from 0 MPH). Is it possible that I damaged the motor that drives the speedometer needle or has anyone found a way to repair this?

I'm going to take it all back apart today and see if I can figure out what the problem is. If I figure out something that works I'll let you know.

Ok, got it working. Pulled the instrument back apart and put the cluster back in without the plastic cover. I pulled the speedometer needle back off and using a GPS while driving down a strait road at a constant speed I pushed the needle back on pointing at the correct speed. On mine with the little speedometer needle stopper pulled out the needle went through the P in MPH while the truck was stopped. Hope that helps.

Back