SPL guys some voltage questions and enclosure q's... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SPL guys some voltage questions and enclosure q's...

I've seen people use 0000 gauge power and ground power...thats freaking huge. I can't afford that though...if I could I'd use it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now correct me if im wrong but the problem with welding wire is the strand count is not as high as you can get in regular power wire

strand count and flexibility of the welding cable depends largely on the quality.

I used to weld and I handled 0000 gauge cable that I felt confident in using.

High quality welding cable is actually pretty flexible. Unless you need to tie knots and braid the cable welding cable will work just as fine and cost less

strand count and flexibility of the welding cable depends largely on the quality.

I used to weld and I handled 0000 gauge cable that I felt confident in using.

High quality welding cable is actually pretty flexible. Unless you need to tie knots and braid the cable welding cable will work just as fine and cost less

Now, I've welded before, I know about ting, mig, arc, and acetylene. But what is wire that big for? I've never seen wire like that used, only the wire that's fed thru mig and the wire you hand feed for the others, but has no jacket and is pretty thin.

I'm not sure...I guess for the really heavy duty welding. Either that or to power the building complex lol

I'm not sure...I guess for the really heavy duty welding. Either that or to power the building complex lol

lol, sounds about right.

theres really no difference between welding cable and car audio wire when it comes to current carrying capabilities. Although it is quite nice using Kicker hyperflex or Knukonceptz flekz cable after using welding cable your whole life.

The most ive heard of in a street car was 64 runs of 1/0 wire front to back. Ive got 40 runs in my truck at the moment. Lot of time and money to be competitive in spl

yea the guy that i was talking to at work whom supplied me the cable said it was 2 ot? or awt lol but pronounce it dont read it :S anyways im not sure it looks LARGER than the 250 amp welding leads we have at work, because i was initially going to run welding cable but i guess this marine wire i got has heavier insulation, flexibility was nothing special it didnt seem ridiculously firm or anything, but yea it did help alot....so how many amps/what size would require more runs of 0 gauge? i plan on never going over 4000watts and this 3000watt amp seems to be a happy median...i am getting annoyed by the poor sound quality im getting with my crunch audiobahn amp...i never really cared until i took an hour to tweak on the sub sonic and low pass filter, and i got the gain on the amp backed up away from where it starts to distort cranked up...and idk it just doesnt hit low enough! i mean if i play dat boy by lil wyte the high bass note is so insanely loud :eek:, but then i play some bass mekanik and it doesnt have very much low end...i mean the shop i bought my bluetooth adapter had one of those jlw7's with that special red box thing, and a 1000watt jl amp in an escalade...and it hit soooo low :( i was in love for a moment...would the woofer itself have an effect on that, the awt15x has alot of excursion so i would think that would be good? anyways there is NO WAY to fit 2 BTL's which i cant even buy cuz the new ones coming out and its probably hi priced...fit in my sport without building it to the roof and or with the back seats down...but i can safely say this crap audiobahn was way louder that that jl..and a drum kick is so loud compared but the low response of the jl was amazing...i have expierienced sq for the first time...

did i hear 24 runs of wire somewhere around here :|

edit : 40 runs of 1/0 :|

How low the sub plays largely depends on the enclosure. If you aren't hitting the lows well than you have a poor enclosure for the application.

IMO JL is good quality stuff...just overpriced IMO and there are MANY MANY other subs out there that will do the same thing for less.

What I would say to do is buy a single beefy 15 or 18 inch sub and build a good enclosure for it.

the JL W7 is in no way an SPL oriented driver...its an SQ sub with lots of linear displacement. I can get loud in the correct enclosure though.

Also SQ is a lot more than just good low frequency response.

Competitors use multiple runs of wire for better power transfer and less resistance...daily though its not needed.

So what exactly are you trying to achieve with the substage??

yea the guy that i was talking to at work whom supplied me the cable said it was 2 ot? or awt lol but pronounce it dont read it :S

Ok, so it is 2/0. Which is 00. You had 0/2 up there so i thought you were saying you weren't sure if it was 2 or 0. lol.

did i hear 24 runs of wire somewhere around here :|

edit : 40 runs of 1/0 :|

sure did....this was 30 runs in (15+ 15-) and 16 runs out (8+ and :cool:

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

:eek: wow...i kinda want to go run 30 runs of something now :D...anyways no new stuff here, was going to get my 300 amp alt. but the rig broke down soi have like all next week off so there goes that extra money...damn this economy!

so i checked out youre sound domain wagonized i see an RE but thats all i notived, do you have picture of your current setup? im sure youve posted them in a thread somewhere...so was that RE a good subwoofer, i mean anythings better than my audiobahn...but im still unsure what im doing as of yet, ive started to get really into trying to find a high output sub that can fit in a small space, so far the W7 seems to be a good bet, and i can get them at a decent price...im almost thinking i could go with 4 of them in the back of my sport, there might be enough room if i get a box molded to use all of the space in there...but still in the plannign staged.

:eek: wow...i kinda want to go run 30 runs of something now :D...anyways no new stuff here, was going to get my 300 amp alt. but the rig broke down soi have like all next week off so there goes that extra money...damn this economy!

so i checked out youre sound domain wagonized i see an RE but thats all i notived, do you have picture of your current setup? im sure youve posted them in a thread somewhere...so was that RE a good subwoofer, i mean anythings better than my audiobahn...but im still unsure what im doing as of yet, ive started to get really into trying to find a high output sub that can fit in a small space, so far the W7 seems to be a good bet, and i can get them at a decent price...im almost thinking i could go with 4 of them in the back of my sport, there might be enough room if i get a box molded to use all of the space in there...but still in the plannign staged.

that was my old sounddomain. Ive had a few setups in this new explorer. Have tried DD, Atomic, RE/Fi, and really prefer DD the best due to their power handling and coil cooling. The RE HC was a very good daily sub..hit lows quite well but just didnt have the power handling I was looking for. Trying Solo X 10s this week if I can overcome my lazyness.

Heres a couple more recent pics..

front batt
DSCN0870.jpg

one of the enclosures
DSCN1125.jpg

another enclosure
DSCN0852.jpg

score from last august...legal at the dash
TL-after_kelowna.jpg

dude i would kill for a 150 thats an insanely ugly setup but holy crap! the duct tape is pretty awesome, does it actually seal the box up more? and 156 is just wow....

so wait a minute, what kind of amps are you running it says american bass 500.1 so is that 4 500 watt amps?

dude i would kill for a 150 thats an insanely ugly setup but holy crap! the duct tape is pretty awesome, does it actually seal the box up more? and 156 is just wow....

the duct tape gains me a little yeah
so wait a minute, what kind of amps are you running it says american bass 500.1 so is that 4 500 watt amps?
i was using american bass 500.1s at the end of the year...they're 5000 watts @ 1 ohm. I was running them strapped at 0.5 ohm (0.25 per amp)

as for now i have some old memphis mojo 4kw's to test with until i decide what gear to run. I also have a Stetsom 7kd to use ;)

Back