Splat and Ok89 get stuck | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Splat and Ok89 get stuck

Firstly, I don't have any pics of the actual stuck, so don't ask ;)

Anyway, last Thursday Jon and I decided to go out and have a little fun. This local mudding spot is only about 10 minutes away, and we just wanted to get the trucks a little dirty and have some quick fun.

So we went out on a dirt road about a mile and then the road got really wet and mushy. We keep going and it's not too much trouble, but I had to keep my momentum and revs up in many places as not to get stuck. Well Jon takes a turn onto another road and 3 minutes later I get stuck. Turns out this road isn't just mud, it's very sticky (and wet) clay. Jon started to back up to strap me out, and promtly backed himself up straight into a large hole.

So now we're both stuck in sticky clay and it starts to rain. We tried jacking the trucks up, digging, pushing, etc. But we were both stuck and the roads kept getting worse. Jon calls a few friends who come out: A Cheby pickup with 35s who drives past us and decides he can't stop so he blows us off and goes home. Then an old F250 who can't make it out to us cause he'd sink. My friend in a Ranger with 31s comes out, but he doesn't have enough weight to pull us out. Another friend of mine tries to come out in an 89 Land Cruiser, but gets stuck in a marsh cause he made a wrong turn.

Ok, so now we have 3 trucks stuck. We ride home with our friends. We came out a few more times Friday and Saturday, but without much help or success. Sunday we go out there and conditions have improved. Jon gets out by using a comealong between our 2 trucks with me on my brakes. I get pulled out by a Ram (the red one in the picture). Jon's Superduty friend gets stuck and also get's pulled out by the Ram, the Ford's front axle wouldn't engage.

Later in the day we got the Toy towed out for $350 :eek: :( I paid $150 of that since he was trying to get out to me.

I tried to make the story short, didn't work. Below are some pics of Splat and the Sunday gang (w/o Toy). Jon drives the Wrangler. Oh, and Splat got even dirtier as the day went on.

Now Splat's exterior is clean. The interior has some mud, and about 60 lbs of mud is still stuck inside various body panels and the undercarriage.

Pics:

Attachments

• imag0001.jpg
    imag0001.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 897

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good quote!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great news is that the only thing that broke is a very easy to fix power coupling for my CB and some of the lights. It was probably just the vibrations that loosened it.

My new bumper performed well, and the lights on it are still working ;)

Now I just need to clean a lot more, touch up some paint, then get back to my previous modding schedule :D

Alec, what's that reverse light? doesn't Rick have one like that? it work well?

That one up top? That's a cheapo magnetic aux light from Walmart. It isn't that bright, but illuminates a good spread behind the truck and is good for scaring tailgaters ;)

I'm going to get another one when I get my stock roofrack back on. That one's just mounted temporarily.

oh ok. cool

What happened to your roof rack Alec?

attachment.php

Is that the hole where you got stuck???:p :p :eek: :p :p

J/K Alec! Glad you make it out of there, that's why I have to get a winch...Damn money!

Originally posted by Yomie
What happened to your roof rack Alec?

Selling it and putting the stocker back on. The truck needs to be shorter, it takes away mileage, and I don't need the storage space any more.

Maybe it should be:

Alec "time for a transfer case" Rosenbaum...hahahaha

Seriously Alec why not D44 and T case that SOB?

I went wheeling Saturday, further then any truck had gone on this trail (according to the tracks in the snow) thanks to the ARB and 24# in the tires........pictures coming soon........

Alec did you guys try to take the tires down low??? Isnt getting covered in clay fun?? (NOT! I got stuck on Easter Sunday in a mud hole because I had 15 minutes to kill on the way to my aunts, not fun, I actually had to take a shower at my aunts house! heheheh took 4 hours to get out........

Airing down didn't help.

As for future plans, as I've said before: once Splat is not a DD anymore I may go SAS.

Originally posted by Silverblade
you guys missed my question. lol.

Dead Link Removed

Its 3 on the tree, right Alec? ;)

Originally posted by VairKing
Its 3 on the tree, right Alec? ;)

No, it's a manumatic 6 with shift paddles behind the wheel :D

Geez I wish!!!

Your supercharger may feel like you have a ferrari but you dont:p lol but thx for the answer, actually your answer sucked but I liked the picture answer.:D

Did you guys stay with the rigs over night? Most places where I have been wheelin' any trucks left after dark will be char-broiled by morning. New Years Eve of 2000 to 2 Jan 2001, about 3 of us stayed with a buddies truck freezing our butts off until we could get it out.

Jon and I were about 1.5 miles off the main road through some pretty serious stuff. We ended up checking on the trucks every 12-18 hours. Not many people could have gotten back there, so we weren't too worried. As for the Land Cruiser, he was in plain view just 75 yards off the highway. We checked on it often; but he was pretty lucky.

well i took mine to the car wash today. I got their most expensive automatic carwash and then they added on a $10.00 "hog wash". But the thing looks great now. The guy must not be your normal car wash guy because he actually cleaned the underside quite a bit before sending it through the machine. They cleaned it inside and out and armor-alled the inside, the tires, the fender flares, cleaned the glass, etc, etc, etc. The guy said that in his two years of working at this car wash mine was the dirtiest he has ever seen :D :bounce: :bounce: So other than the fact that it started pouring right when i drove out of the car wash I am happy about the results. Pictures will be in on Friday so until then use your imaginations.

Looks like a fun place to go. Nasty stuck though.

Back