CBoug76

Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dracut, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport
Ok, I have to give props to Split Fire Spark plug wires.
I few weeks ago I was driving to work and all of a sudden, my Explorer was running like crap! so I messed with it at lunch time, tried to clean the Idle Air Control Valve, some other things inline with the Air intake, and I ever when and got some Fuel Injector cleaner, pourer it in a partial gas tank, and nuttin fix it. (I also filled up with gas). So I called my mechanic an told him what happen, and I then drove home(about 30 miles). Well during that 30 miles I went thru more them a quarter tank of gas, this is unusual! So I told the mechanic this when I saw him and he said the only thing that could cause that would be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. So off to the parts store I went, got the FPR, and changed it in the parking lot(I know not a smart thing to do, Hot engine, and Fuel doesn't mix well, I had my Fire Extinguisher in my hands at the time) Well That didn't fix it so I rove home and started pulling the plugs, maybe I fouled them with that much gas going thru the engine. Pulled the first 2 on the driver side(the Easy ones!) and the 2nd one was "wet" wit Gas! So I cleaned it off, and put them back in. when I was re-connecting the plug wires I noticed this crack in the 2nd wire, and I looked at it more closely, and saw another spot on it where it was cracking. So I found some old wires and replaced that 1 wire, and wouldn't you know it ran Fine! So now IM happy that its running and un-happy that I have 5 Split Fire Spark plug wires, and 1 Generic wire. I remember Split Fire having some kind of lifetime guarantee, So I went to their web site(http://www.splitfire.com/) and found a number to call, I explained to the Tech what happened(Readers Digest Version) and he told me to send that 1 bad wire to them with a description of my truck, and they will send me a new wire, for free! GREAT! So in the mail it went, and 2/3 weeks larter(This past Wednesday night) I got the new wire in the mail, and now IM running with all 6 Split Fire Spark plug wires Again!

So Props go out to Split Fire!

Back