• Register Today It's free!

spongy brake pedal

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
hey guys, i just finished up with glaciers 1st gen how to brake job tutorial, but now that it is all done, my brake pedal feels very spongy, in fact i have to press it all the way down to get action out of the brakes. i opened the bleeder valves while pushing the cylinder back in and topped off the master, so why does it feel like all of a sudden there is no pressure in the system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you use new sealed fluid? brake fluid absorbs air alot. Are the brake system hoses new also? I've worked on many vehicles before that have so many cracks in the lines, it sucks alot of air into the system

i have no idea, just got some dot 3 brake fluid from autozone.. but the hoses are original. how to check for cracks in the hoses?

There is a certain way to bleed the brakes of all the air. I can't remember how to bleed ABS systems but for normal brakes, you start at the wheel furthest from the Master Cylinder(probably back passenger) Have someone pump brakes 3 times on third have them hold pedal, open bleeder let the fluid drain out. Do it again 1 or two more times. Then move to back driver->front pass->front driver.

Check your fluid level after a few bleeds. You may have to do this a few times.
To check for cracks in the lines hop under the vehicle with a bright and small light(I got a 9led light for $4 at Wal-Mart) just trace the lines from caliper to master, I don't think its a cracked line because if it was the pedal would drop, the spongyness is air in the lines.

Another way to do it without getting brake fluid all over when you are getting last bit of air out is this: get a short piece of vacuum hose or clear tubing, slide it over the bleeder, put the other end into a clear jar filled with brake fluid. You'll see the bubbles when air is pushe out, and you don't have to worry about letting any air back in before closing bleeder screw, as it will draw on the fluid instead.

Many times when opening the Bleeder to let the fluid out as the piston is pressed in, it is easy for air to get in because teh piston kind of pushes out again. Just a bit. If I do this, I usually tighten the bleeder as I am still pressing the Piston in. Just before it goes all the way in. It sounds like you let air in.

The way VERNO describes it, has been the way I bleed brakes all the time.
Make sure the end on the hose is below the surface of the Fluid in the jar, it acts as a check valve.

Bleed Rear Passenger side then Rear Drivers then Front Passenger then front Drivers side.
Do Not let the reservoir empty while doing this or you will need to start over.

Just probably the rear brakes adjusting out. It will feel spongy till those adjusters turn out. You can take the drums off and dial them out some manually if you like or drive it for a few weeks and let them adjust out.

Back