Spongy brakes after bleeding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spongy brakes after bleeding

Evilblue22

Reaction score
I did a complete brake job on my 05 explorer rotors,pads, all new fluid. It stops fine but the pedal feels soft to me. I've searched the forum and people have mentioned that air may get into the abs system. But no mention of how the check for that. Are there any other reasons the pedal my feel soft like that

If you have any reason to suspect you let the reservoir get too low and you pumped some air into the lines, you should flush again.

Before you flush, though, you need to activate your ABS system a few times to pump the air out of the ABS piping. Get on some wet grass and stomp the brakes a few times. Then flush normally.

If you have any reason to suspect you let the reservoir get too low and you pumped some air into the lines, you should flush again.

Before you flush, though, you need to activate your ABS system a few times to pump the air out of the ABS piping. Get on some wet grass and stomp the brakes a few times. Then flush normally.

Bad advice. If there is dirt of air in the system, activating the ABS will allow it into the HCU. There is a specific procedure for bleeding and flushing ABS systems that you need to follow. Likely you will have to take it to a shop with the correct equipment if you think there is air in the ABS.

Regarding the original post, if there is air in the ABS HCU, it won't have any affect on pedal feel without the ABS activated because its valves are closed.

Soft pedal can have numerous causes. Air remaining in the system. Warped or badly worn pads. Corroded caliper pistons. Defective proportioning valve. Among other things.

I'd suggest you try bleeding again. At each wheel push the caliper piston in fully and pump it back out. That will dislodge trapped air and free up the pistons if they are tight. If they look corroded, you need to replace or rebuild the calipers.

You could also just drive it for a couple days and see if the pedal firms up a little.

Back