• Register Today It's free!

Spongy brakes - Fixed

DCExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Accokeek MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB
My first attempt at fixing the brakes was back in 2006, when after reading some threads, I switched over to PowerSlot Rotor and Hawk Pads. I also replaced the front calilpers and rubber hoses. It helped, but wasn't great. Well the truck sits most of the time, and since then the inside of the rotors rusted up and destroyed the pads to the point where the brakes were becoming a real problem.

2011 - Round 2. I replaced everything.

4 calipers - NAPA Eclipes
4 rotors - NAPA Ultra Premiumn
brake pades - Akebono
brake booster - Cardone (Remf)
Master cyclider - New

I also bought a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes this time, where I had previously used a pedal partnter inside the truck. I ran 2 quarts of Valvoline synthetic brake fluid through the lines after bench bleeding the master cylinder.

Brakes are now great. I should also mention that I did NOT have the HCU bled, which has been attributed to causing spongy brakes. Cannot say for certain where the problem was, but it is gone now. :)

My first attempt at fixing the brakes was back in 2006, when after reading some threads, I switched over to PowerSlot Rotor and Hawk Pads. I also replaced the front calilpers and rubber hoses. It helped, but wasn't great. Well the truck sits most of the time, and since then the inside of the rotors rusted up and destroyed the pads to the point where the brakes were becoming a real problem.

2011 - Round 2. I replaced everything.

4 calipers - NAPA Eclipes
4 rotors - NAPA Ultra Premiumn
brake pades - Akebono
brake booster - Cardone (Remf)
Master cyclider - New

I also bought a vacuum pump to bleed the brakes this time, where I had previously used a pedal partnter inside the truck. I ran 2 quarts of Valvoline synthetic brake fluid through the lines after bench bleeding the master cylinder.

Brakes are now great. I should also mention that I did NOT have the HCU bled, which has been attributed to causing spongy brakes. Cannot say for certain where the problem was, but it is gone now. :)

I just needed to resurrect this thread to say that is not fair to say you fixed it. You changed everything!

Is like having a misfire and changing the engine, problem fixed!

Back