Sporadic Shuddering, loss of power | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sporadic Shuddering, loss of power

Eddie954WD

Reaction score
City, State
Conyers, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Hi all, new member, probably some old issues, thanks for any input. My dilemma is that my 95 Eddie 4dr, 4wd has developed the hiccups, meaning shuddering of the the engine, loss of power. It will die if at a stop light when it's acting this way, unless powerbraking to keep rpms up. Under power it lacks any, although it will still move. I've had the tranny replaced about a year ago...the famous slippage issues...and fuel filter, plugs, wires, oil, etc. about 6 months ago. This issue started about 3 months ago, but I've lived with it since it's my second vehicle but can't anymore due to reliability issues when I go outdoors. I've checked all vacuum lines, had the fuel injectors cleaned, run some stp fuel treatment in the tank...maybe there was water???..and still to no avail. When it's not doing it's moody thing, and I mean moody (it will stop for several days, then be a demon doing the above for a day, etc). it runs as it should, idle and all. Any help, suggestions and input is welcome and appreciated.

Eddie954WD

Thanks!

tbars, thanx for the thread link! edit update....: Cleaned MAF and IAC, used carb cleaner on the IAC tough carbon deposits, worked the spring to free up some more carbon, let air dry and bolted back on, also popped off the plastic cap and sprayed into cap as well as inlet. When I first cranked it, it howled like a banshee, then I took off the outer cap and it was fine, as someone else in the forums had mentioned. I left it off for a couple hours, put if back on...and voila, no more howling. Maybe I didn't let the valve dry completely before reattaching, but since this procedure, no hiccups, I took the ol eddie and the family camping a couple hours away, forded a river or two and it ran like a champ, problem solved for now.

Back