• Register Today It's free!

Sport Steering Wheel Paddles

baddceo

Reaction score
City, State
OP, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer LIM 4WD
Does anyone happen to know if the Sport Steering Wheel with paddle shifters can be installed and activated on the Limited? I know there are many drivers out there that believe the novelty of the shifters wears off. I enjoy having them because I actually use them to down shift instead of riding the brakes all the way into a stop light.

On my previous vehicle VW CC the shifters we active meaning I didn't have to put the car into manual mode to use them. Not sure if that is the same on the Sport with Shifters.

Anyway didn't see any threads out there on this topic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that the clock spring is the same between the two cars. What you would need to find out is where the leads from the paddles go (if anywhere) on the non Sports. They may be wired into the shifter buttons, but it is unlikely. You could get a Sport steering wheel and shift knob, then wire from the connector to the clock spring where the paddle wires terminate to the connector for the shifter buttons, then install the buttonless Sport shift knob.

To answer your other question...you can be in drive mode (not manual mode) and pressing the levers will up or down shift the truck. About 5 sec later it reverts back to drive mode

Thank you for the information. So on your Sport you don't have the manual overdrive on the shifter correct? I suspect maybe vteckiller is correct then by changing what I have to imagine is a connection from the shifter to the steering wheel if possible might enable this modification. I need to find a Ford dealer that might have some knowledge on the issue...

Thank you for the information. So on your Sport you don't have the manual overdrive on the shifter correct? I suspect maybe vteckiller is correct then by changing what I have to imagine is a connection from the shifter to the steering wheel if possible might enable this modification. I need to find a Ford dealer that might have some knowledge on the issue...

No, the buttons on the short knob do not exist on the Sport. You will have to find out if the wiring is present to connect the manual shift button connector to the clockspring and then the steering wheel. I suspect it won't, and you shall then need to repin or add pins to the connector for the clockspring and run those wires you add to the console area and connect them to the wiring that stock connected to the short knob buttons. Since the clock spring is the same, the hard part is done for you, all you need is a steering wheel, terminal pins (if they are not already present), wire and an afternoon.

All good info, perhaps the interface is already there and the connection would simply come alive with a new steering wheel...

All good info, perhaps the interface is already there and the connection would simply come alive with a new steering wheel...

You won't know until you try. I don't know if the steering wheel stuff works on canbus or not, but a wiring diagram would help.

Would like to add some more info:

The Clock spring seems to be similar across many Ford/Lincoln models. The difference being with or without the Heated steering options, Explorer & Edge both have paddles on the sport trim. Also, the MKX has paddles since 2013 model (not before).
See the application chart for these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281056226895 (without heated steering)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360494863204 (with heated steering)

Also, a member here, installed the Tow Mode Button and stated that the programming was apparently present. So there might be hope in that installing a steering wheel with the paddle shifters might work without additional programming.

Good information. The one concern I have is that paddles did not come out on the explorer until the Sport was made available. Unless Ford was pre-planning there might be a chance the wiring didn't exist in the earlier years. I haven't had time to try and figure this out further.

Good information. The one concern I have is that paddles did not come out on the explorer until the Sport was made available. Unless Ford was pre-planning there might be a chance the wiring didn't exist in the earlier years. I haven't had time to try and figure this out further.

It's not even foresight, the explorer simply shares a platform with the taurus, flex, mkx, edge and mkc. All of these have some type of paddle shifter available.

Annnnnd the double post.

Back