Sport Trac 2009 Ltd How to locate and replace stock Turn Signal Flasher with an LED Flasher | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac 2009 Ltd How to locate and replace stock Turn Signal Flasher with an LED Flasher

For rugged use and reliability overall, which is better: Sport Trac or Ranger?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jun Sunga

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009, Sport Trac Ltd
Hi, I'm working at a Middle Eastern country called Qatar, but I visit Arkansas almost every year (Heber Springs & Conway).

I love my Sport Trac 2009!
I have replaced my turn signal lamps into LED and are working well.
However, the dashboard keeps showing that the turn signal lamps are dead - which is incorrect.
After some web research I learned that the Turn Signal Flasher needs to be replaced by a LED version flasher because the new LED lamps can not be detected due to lower voltage requirements.
So I purchased an LED Turn Signal Flasher from Amazon to replace the stock flasher - one that does not require installing resistors at the lamps.

I tried two times but I can't locate the flasher under the dashboard/steering column.
From the web I have seen location photos and diagrams for 2003, 2005 and 2007 models - but can't find any for 2009 model.

Can anyone send me photos or a clear diagram of the location of the Turn Signal Flasher?
A short videoclip on locating it will be even better.
Many thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There’s no individual flasher unit in the 2007-2010 Sport Trac. That function is controlled by the vehicle’s CANBUS computer system. So the only way to eliminate the error and correct the hyper-flashing is to install resistors in line with the LED bulbs.

Hey Jun Sunga, welcome to the forum. I was the Chief of Training at Al Udeid AB in 2007 and a bit of 2008. And was stationed at Little Rock AFB in 73-74 and again in 1976-77. I realize that has nothing to do with your 09 STL but it is good to read from the other side of the world.

There’s no individual flasher unit in the 2007-2010 Sport Trac. That function is controlled by the vehicle’s CANBUS computer system. So the only way to eliminate the error and correct the hyper-flashing is to install resistors in line with the LED bulbs.
This is true....AND there is no adjusting the SJB to work with LED'S and stop showing the error....thanks Ford!

Hey Jun Sunga, welcome to the forum. I was the Chief of Training at Al Udeid AB in 2007 and a bit of 2008. And was stationed at Little Rock AFB in 73-74 and again in 1976-77. I realize that has nothing to do with your 09 STL but it is good to read from the other side of the world.

Hi SMSgt09. This is a much delayed reaction, but a reaction anyway. Small world. I met a couple in Heber Springs AR who said their son who is a pilot was assigned at Al-Udeid AB. I am working a Kahramaa (Qatar General Electricity & Water Corp) doing strategy, business planning and performance mgt. Are you in Arkansas? I’m doing a start-up asian grocery store in Conway.

Amazon displays “This works with your Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2009” when I click on the item.

Back