Sport Trac 3.7L V6 swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac 3.7L V6 swap

This is so awesome! The two videos sound great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to have enough power to get out of its own way :D

I took the Sport Trac out today after the snow. You can see the exhaust now exits on both sides just in front of the rear tires. That helped quiet things down in the cab quite a bit.
18283.jpg

Any more updates? Problems that have come up? Or should 3.7 swaps be the new thing?

Any more updates? Problems that have come up? Or should 3.7 swaps be the new thing?

No new developments. The next big project will be to replace all the body bushings that are rotted away. I wish I had done that earlier in the project. I'm hoping that will go a long way to getting rid of a lot of squeaks and rattles.

I was able to get an OBDII pass-through cable and a short term Motorcraft subscription to enable my cruise control. However, I was unable to change the fuel tank size, the tire diameter, or disable advancetrac.

Should 3.7 swaps be the new thing? Only if you are up for a challenge.

Overall, are you happy with how it turned out?

Overall, are you happy with how it turned out?

Yes. I love the way it runs. Any complaint I have right now is simply due to this being a 15 year old vehicle still in need of a few repairs.

how was the fit of the six speed auto? would it fit with a transfer case? which rearend gears you have in the truck?

how was the fit of the six speed auto? would it fit with a transfer case? which rearend gears you have in the truck?

I'm not sure about the transfer case. I don't have a 4WD Explorer and F150 to compare. The 6-speed is shorter than the previous tranny, so I had to make a longer driveshaft.

The donor F150 came with 3.55 gears, so I swapped those into the Sport Trac, because the 4.10 would be way too low. The tire height I have right now is an inch shorter than the F150 tires, so my speedometer is off by 6%.
I also added Ford Racing Traction - LOK Limited Slip while I had the rear open.

Well, I am seriously considering it now since I know it can be done haha. I have an m90 and am saving up to supercharge my EX, but I found a 3.7 with trans, from a mustang, for 1500 on ebay. Not sure if that's a good deal or not. But, if the price is right, I might take the challenge

Well, I am seriously considering it now since I know it can be done haha. I have an m90 and am saving up to supercharge my EX, but I found a 3.7 with trans, from a mustang, for 1500 on ebay. Not sure if that's a good deal or not. But, if the price is right, I might take the challenge

Don't buy an engine and trans without the full wiring harness, PCM, and BCM. Your best bet is to start with a wrecked donor vehicle.

The offer seemed to include all the wiring. Not sure if it came with the actual modules though. I don't want to get off topic but, how did you find your donor f-150?

The offer seemed to include all the wiring. Not sure if it came with the actual modules though. I don't want to get off topic but, how did you find your donor f-150?

I went to Insurance Auto Auctions, but I had to go to a neighboring state that sells salvage vehicles to the public. My state doesn't.

Thanks for the tip. Another thing I wanted to ask, how was it converting to an electric throttle body? Isn't the the throttle body on the 3.7 electric?

Thanks for the tip. Another thing I wanted to ask, how was it converting to an electric throttle body? Isn't the the throttle body on the 3.7 electric?

Do you mean the electronic throttle pedal? I just had to remove the old throttle cable and pedal, and make spacers to get the new pedal in a similar position.

I lowered the front a bit and added 2" blocks in the rear to level out the Sport Trac.
IMG_9638.jpg

I love your last video. The engine sounds great. The power steering looks smooth and the looks like it picks up so fast.

can you add more info about making the seats work? my driver seat wont go forward.

Love the effort and the wheels look great on it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can you add more info about making the seats work? my driver seat wont go forward.

Love the effort and the wheels look great on it!

I had to make an adapter plate out of a sheet of steel that had holes drilled for the Corbeau seat bracket as well as the Focus seats. The seats sit slightly higher than the Sport Trac seats did.

Back