Sport Trac 3.7L V6 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac 3.7L V6 swap

geekjon

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
A few months ago I bought a 2001 Sport Trac with a blown engine, and wrecked 2011 F150 3.7L. This has been a complicated project, but I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You would think that a 3.7L would be smaller than a 4.0L, but that's not the case. I ran into a lot of clearance issues. Once of those clearance issues still remaining is to rebuild the AC box to make it slightly smaller. I'm using as many of the F150 parts as possible to limit the number of compatibility issues. You can see that the F150 steering column is installed in the Sport Trac. The F150 instrument panel is being used. The F150 fuel pump has been installed in the Sport Trac gas tank. The F150 had electric power steering, so the Sport Trac power steering pump has been fitted to the engine, and all the belt-driven accessories have been moved upward to solve some clearance problems.

IMG_4562.jpg

imagejpeg_2-3.jpg

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4974.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg
IMG_6161.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice swap, first 3.7 swap I've seen yet, looking forward to more of it.

This is amazing! Good luck with the rest of the project!

I have a few questions though:
Are you using the F150 tranny?
Are you doing 2wd or 4wd, if so how?

Thanks.

I'm sure this will be much more refined as far as power output and torque curve compared to the 4.0.

Making seat adapter brackets to adapt Focus bucket seats to Corbeau seat brackets.
IMG_6847.jpg

Wow

Wow you sir are hardcore
I dream about trying such things
(2001 exp sport & a 2012 3.7 mustang in the driveway)
Looking forward to more

This is amazing! Good luck with the rest of the project!

I have a few questions though:
Are you using the F150 tranny?
Are you doing 2wd or 4wd, if so how?

Thanks.

I'm using the 6R80 6-speed automatic transmission from the F150.
This is a 2WD Sport Trac.

Amazing. Subscribing and good luck to you

By the way, does anyone have a medium graphite console lid for a reasonable price?

It's running for the first time since removing the drivetrain from the F150

That's awesome how difficult was the wiring? That's a nice boost in horsepower and torque. I wonder how much better the fuel mileage will be.

That's awesome how difficult was the wiring? That's a nice boost in horsepower and torque. I wonder how much better the fuel mileage will be.

Pretty much all the wiring from the F150 was moved over to the Sport Trac. Some of the F150 peripheral modules were removed. The only one that wasn't simply "unpluggable" was the electric power steering from the F150. The high speed network wires ran through that module and had to be jumpered when the power steering unit was removed.

There is a lot of excess wiring that I may eventually remove.

Update. It's on the road, but I still have a lot left to do, bugs to squash, rattles to quiet.
I also need to find a Ford tech that isn't afraid to change some settings in the computer of a custom vehicle. The first dealer I went to wouldn't touch it.

1.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

this question might be a bit out of place but, which wheels are those?

Love the exhaust! Sounds great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this question might be a bit out of place but, which wheels are those?

Those are from American Muscle - 2010 GT500 Style Silver Wheel - 19x8.5 with 255/50R19 tires

I also have 1 inch spacers installed to adjust for the offset of those wheels.

Back