• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac OHC questions

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
I picked up an explorer Overhead Console from my local jy today, console, bracket, and the harness down to where the pillar meets the dash. I have some questions though.

My trac didn't have the OHC standard, but it appears to have the harness running up to the headlliner, do all sport tracs have the harness? And is the plug the same?

That would make it a lot simpler, just cut, bolt, plug, pop,screw.

I did forget to pull the temp sensor, but would that plug into a harness somewhere as well?

And before everyone says search, I did, but I wasn't able to find the answers to these questions.

And id like to reccoment the pick a part in fredericksburg VA to anyone local, they have at least 40 something explorers, the newest I saw was a 2002. They had a couple sport trac beds sitting by the enterance, but I couldn't find the sport tracs. They sold me all the stuff I took for thr OHC, an interior fuse box cover, coolant temp sensor connector, and some miscellaneous hardware for only $19.

I had an XLS without the OHC, and added it. I did not find any of the console wires in the interior harnesses, so I tapped into the dome light power. I did not hook up the dimmer or speed sense wires, just power, ground, and the two temp wires.

The engine bay harness does have the temp sensor plug, its between the radiator panel and headlight support on the drivers side, but i could not trace it into the cab, so I ran new wires out to the front for it.

Might want to go back for the temp sensor if you can, and get the plug for it too, it might not match up to the plug in your ST, mine didnt...

Yeah I'm definitely going to get the sensor another day. I'm glad I got the harness. I wasn't planning on using the speed sensor, I don't the wire for the mirror lights, but I was planning on using the dimmer. Where did you put the wires through to the engine bay? And where did you mount the sensor?

I ran the wires thru the plate where the clutch would go, but there are a few rubber grommets under the drivers side dash. I ran it up to the same spot the OEM sensor is mounted. Just ran my own wiring up there and cut off the existing temp sensor plug.

Back