• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sport Trac Slider build has begun..

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Went and picked up some steel yesterday. I bought 22' of 2x4x3/16" rectangular tube. Got it for $5.00/foot could not believe it.

So I cut 2 pieces at 6.5' for the sliders and the rest will be for the mounting arms. Will take some pics today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

91ROKKRAWLER

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Xploder
wow i think i got my 2x3 1/4" wall for like .60/lbs. came out to like 50 or 60 bucks...

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Here are some pics from yesterdays work. Basically just did some measuring and placement. Abd cut all my support arms and mounting plates. I still need to get my round tube and will do that this week. Going to use 1.5"x .120 tube.

Sliders_01.jpg

Sliders_02.jpg

Sliders_03.jpg

Sliders_05.jpg

91ROKKRAWLER

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Xploder
you bolting them on or welding them on?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Very good news Chad. These will come in handy come time for Moab.

Are you going to have the tubes go up at an angle? Are you planning on removing the body lift at all?

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
I will have the support arms going straight, that way there is more protection, plus they are at the same height as the frame. I am still not sure if I will bolt them on or just weld them. Since i will likely never remove the body lift I am leaning towards welding them on.

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Sweet.
Bring that plasma cutter over here would ya?

It works well, I do not have a cut off saw so I had to cut all my square tubing with my plasma cutter, that was fun making 4 cuts and making them all line up.

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Did some more work last night. Today will be installation day hopefully. What about paint?? I was thinking the Dupli-Color aerosol can spray bed liner or even the undercoating spray paint from Autozone?

The first two pics are of the 90 I bent and the sleeved inserts I made for added support when welded together.

Sliders_001.jpg

Sliders_002.JPG

Sliders_003.jpg

Sliders_004.jpg

Sliders_006.jpg

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Looks very nice Chad. The inserts are pretty cool Idea as well. Those are by far the longest sliders I have seen yet. How much of a gap is there from the ends of the 2x4 to the sheet metal on the the rig?

If your not powder coating them, I suggest a 2 or 3 part epoxy paint system. 1st coat is a epoxy primer, than a intermediate coat, followed by a top coat. All coats at least 3 mils thick wet. Sherwin Williams sells it in their industrial dept line. The primer is the important coat. Aerosol paint will not last at all on that steel. After sanding/grinding, clean with lacquer thinner and rags.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Looking clean there - excellent workmanship.

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
The sliders are 6.5' long. I am planning on using 3 support arms so hopefully that will be enough. :scratch: I like the idea about the 3 part paint, however I also like the idea when they get all scratched up I can grab my can of bed liner paint and touch them up, plus it will add some traction, cuz these are needed to get into my truck.

XLTmodifire

Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT (B4 Autumn Brown)
Wow, that looks great!
Nice job on all the welds!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

KPSquared

Reaction score
City, State
Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
The rattle can bed liner will come off so fast you'll be re-spraying every time you leave the driveway. And when you scrape a big chunk off, it'll never look right if you just spray back over it. The undercoating stuff is asphalt based and will come off even easier...

Those sliders look great though!