Sport wheels and tires with Ford tire sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport wheels and tires with Ford tire sensors

MarkG2002

Reaction score
City, State
Wayne, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT Sport
I'm looking at a set of used Sport wheels and tires for my 2014 XLT. They are original Ford Sport wheels with newer tires installed. They have the Ford TPMS sensors in them. Will they work on my Explorer with a simple wheel swap or do I have to reprogram the sensors?
This is the first vehicle I ever owned with these sensors and what a pain in the A$$ they are! I'm old school where you look at the tire to see if its low on air, or even put a gauge on it if you have any suspicion !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll probably need to do the relearn which you can do yourself

Welcome to the Forum Mark.:wave:
What year is the Sport that the tires came from? TPMS sensors changed with the 2016 model. In any case, it is always best to have the sensors programmed to the vehicle. I have the dealer do it every time I swap my wheels Winter/Summer. Takes no time at all.

Peter

The wheels are 2016 style. My XLT is a 2014. I believe the sport wheels looked the same for 2014 and 2015 and changed slightly in 2016.

The wheels are 2016 style. My XLT is a 2014. I believe the sport wheels looked the same for 2014 and 2015 and changed slightly in 2016.
The 2016 uses different TPMS sensors because that is the year Ford went with the individual tire pressure readouts on the dash. Your 2014 just has a low pressure warning that doesn't identify which tire is low. See; 2017 Wheels on a 2014 ---->TPMS ??s

Peter

You'll probably need to do the relearn which you can do yourself

Thank you Peter and Adrian. I ended up buying the 2016 wheels and tires because they are in excellent condition and I really like the look. $1,200 for wheels with new tires, center caps and sensors. I had to drive 2 hours each way to get them though....
So, I will have to swap the sensors or re-learn the new ones?

Hi Mark. I know that sensors from a 2014 will not work on 2016+ models. What I'm not sure about is if 2016 sensors will trigger a low PSI warning on a 2014. The ones used in 2016+ vehicles will show individual tire PSI readouts, something earlier Explorers did not do. The TPMS sensors are different.

Peter

So, I will have to swap the sensors or re-learn the new ones?
Well, you bought the wheels, so why not install one, or all, then try to 'learn' them and see what happens? I would give it a couple days of use to see how the system reacts.

I put Volvo wheels on my 2016. They had 433 MHz sensors and my vehicle uses 315 MHz sensors. Sometimes I get what appears to be legit pressure readouts on the dash menu and other times I get some 0s or a tpms error message. It doesn't seem to be a very robust system as I would expect it to error out if there is a problem rather than provide faulty/garbage data sometimes.

I'm old school where you look at the tire to see if its low on air, or even put a gauge on it if you have any suspicion !
Just an fyi, visual inspection of air pressure on radial tires has never really been a thing. They can be 10 or more psi low and still look okay. Always use a gauge to verify proper inflation.

Back