Sport97's sport | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Save, save, save. Trust me on this, hold onto your money. You are going to find out fairly soon that $500 can come in quite handy just for unrealized expenses.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Save, save, save. Trust me on this, hold onto your money. You are going to find out fairly soon that $500 can come in quite handy just for unrealized expenses.

This is true. I am saving the money i've made from my "regular" job. Still looking for full time employment. This is money i've made from selling a few things on craigslist and doing yard work for a neighbor. Its money I set aside to treat myself to something.

Well i guess the choice was made for me.... The incompetent f*** who i let do my exhaust work totally trashed it and did a hack job. Well its been rubbing on the rear shock because he couldn't manage a basic system install. Well the heat totally blew out my almost new rancho shock. It has oil pooring down it. So I'm having a full system installed by a different shop. I have a recommendation this time, then 50 bucks for a new shock...

Slight progress made. I have an appointment on tuesday for the exhaust. For 85 I'm getting the muffler rehung straight and higher up, new hangers, and a new tailpipe made and hung.

I also stopped past Jerry's(midnightrebel) and he hooked me up with a set for sensatracs for the rear end. Before I install those I will try and warranty out my blown shock.

I also now have a set of custom made shackles i bought from Jerry to replace my el-cheapo autozone shackles.

Wow bro that's pretty crazy. Seems like you should go back to that guy and give him and ear full.

I would've knocked him out if I went back so I kept my cool and moved on. Sometimes you just get screwed, this wasn't the first and it surely wont be the last either.

I think i'm going to cry when I wash the mud off my car and see how many deep scratches are in my paint. I've spotted a bunch already... That is what I get for taking trails that prob haven't had a car down them in quiet sometime....

I think i'm going to cry when I wash the mud off my car and see how many deep scratches are in my paint. I've spotted a bunch already... That is what I get for taking trails that prob haven't had a car down them in quiet sometime....

Screw it man, it's a badge of honor. :salute:

Screw it man, it's a badge of honor. :salute:

True. The older/more miles it gets the less i care about small stuff like that. She still shines up really nice for an old girl. This year has not been kind to the body though but hell, i had a ton of fun getting the bumps and scrapes!

True. The older/more miles it gets the less i care about small stuff like that. She still shines up really nice for an old girl. This year has not been kind to the body though but hell, i had a ton of fun getting the bumps and scrapes!

Same here. I'm scratched the hell out of Take Two a few weeks back, figured eventually I'll get her a new paint job once I've finished with the rust I got deal with.

Meg's scratch x 2.0= magic. Just by hand buffing it has almost entirely buffed out all marks. At certain angles you can see very faint marks in some spots. If I had an orbital it would look perfect. This is way better than the megs ultimate rubbing compound.

Warrantied out my blown rancho and got the new one installed today.

That's great man, I figured it would still be under warranty. I'm trying to figure out which weekend next month for the trail ride. I'll start a trail ride thread in the offroad trip section.

Ok sounds good. There are a few open places to stop and just hang out. I saw some people last weekend having a picnic up where they used to be logging. It appears they are done, at least for now. No equipment.

Looks like probably the third weekend of Sept..

Just be glad it's not black!

black is rough to keep clean...

Jerry, the 3rd weekend as in the 15th/16th? I know I have a work meeting on the 15th but its probably over by lunch and I bet i can get out of that early. Its more so training for new staff.

The 22nd/23rd looks better. Probably the 22nd (Saturday). We have alot of work to do the next couple weekends to get the back yard cleaned up for Matthew's 1st birthday.

I also need to get the new longer TB bolts installed/ cranked up to level and alligned, trans filler tube replaced with the new one (so I don't have any mud, river water get into the trans).

Oh yeah, black is impossible to keep clean, especially when the lot at work is a huge dust bowl. LOL.

Ok just let me know. I need to get that filler tube fixed too, mine leaks tranny fluid out I'm pretty sure, something is making the front of my trans pan all oily. Makes me wonder how much crap has gotten in there...

I have what I guess is a miss at low RPMs. It happens intermittently below 2k RPMs when under a light to medium load like on a flat to mild incline. I can hear the exhaust fluttering and I can feel it chug along. Any thoughts? I have new motorcraft plugs and wires with only 10k on them. Coil pack?

Back