Sport97's sport | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just in time for my last minute christmas shopping... A rad hose blew open, shorted out my alternator because it soaked everything under the hood. I pulled in my driveway in a plume of smoke and dim lights.

I determined its the small hose on the top of the water pump. Hopefully when the alternator drys it will start working again.

I'm putting on a new idler pulley and belt while im in there...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

That hose is a ***** to install.

Best way to be sure is to measure yours. I'm not 100% sure on your earlier 4.0L. Might the difference be wether it's a OHC or SOHC ???

Salvage your old bypass hose, measure it and take it with you when you go to the parts store to make sure you get the correct part.

Got the hose. That was the easy part. I cannot get that hose out. I pulled the air intake and idler pulley off but I cant get the hose off. The end of the t stat housing and the water pump are like 1/2 inch apart leaving like no room to move the hose clamps too. I tried to cut it off with no success. I cant get anything in there to cut those hose clamps.

I tried to pull the t stat housing but i cannot figure out how to remove the entire thing without taking off the intake of the engine! I cant get the sensors or rear bolt off the bottom piece. Looks like my only plan is to take off the water pump, but it seems like the fan comes with it. Who the hell designed this!

Search option is your friend, you're Elite so try the 911 section. I'm stumped without being there to see it in person.

Ok. I've figured out the intake needs to be pulled. May as well go the extra step and do the 00m12 repair and replace the intake o rings and tensioner part...

Once again I broke my rule of going off road when there is snow. Wasn't tryin to go wheelin' I was planning to hike. The snow was all packed from hunters and loggers and due to rising temps and then falling temps it became total ice. 1/2 way up the logging road hill I lost all traction. I locked into low range, hit the gas and it when down hill from there. Literally. I proceeded to slide backwards down this icy logging road hill, probably at least 8-9% grade. No control. I was actually trying to steer into a tree to stop my slide but I couldn't even do that. Finally i came to a rest diagonally on the road. There was a new xterra coming up behind me so my buddy jumped out to talk to them. I decided to get out to assess what I could do. As I was walking I realized my car was sliding down the road next to me, with people in the back seat. I got back in, not that I had any control anyway. At this point the xterra is also sliding backwards down this hill the same way I was. We both manged to get spun around and headed back down slowly.

I was lucky that didn't go badly. I'm not sure how I even made it up the hill no issue until i got stuck. There was a guy in an f450 quad cab getting ready to try the hill when we got back down. He was going to try with just one chain, we said, ha good luck. He threw on another chain on this other dually and off he went. Not a chance he made it up. I have no idea how he was going to turn around a quad cab utility body truck on that hill.

You got lucky Vince...good to hear y'all made it out ok.

It was wild. I honestly was not expecting it to be all ice, considering I some how made it up the hill before coming down it. The dude in the nissan probably pooped himself sliding backwards in a 35k dollar car out of control.

LOL. You didn't mention in the text to me that you jumped back in. Too many bad things that can happen when slow wheelin' or even just trying to drive on a trail/ road like that this time of year.

You were alone again (no other trucks), gotta use the buddy system when venturing out. Hopefully winter gets over quickly so I can come down there and explore more of those trails, gonna feel more comfortable taking on the harder trails now with my winch and steel bumpers. Gotta get other members out there next time too.

I was alone, besides the other guys we saw, but the road I was on was a township road (albeit without winter maintenance) and people take it all the time to go hunt, hike or explore. It woulda been fine had it not iced over. I didn't intend on wheeling on any of the "trails" I was gonna stick to the main road up to the top.

Any suggestions on how to, if i should try to address my rusting quarter panel?

Not sure how bad yours is...It could be a pita to do yourself unless your good with body work...I'm having professionals fix mine.

Just a ton of bubbling now but its gotten 10x worse this month with winter.

Might be time to find a Sport Trac to build up, drive daily and wheel, just a suggestion. LOL.

You'd have passenger room and a bed to haul your gear around.

Trust me, I wish they were reasonably priced...

There's one for $800 on the ST section, needs alot TLC but still cheaper then a dealer. There's a couple around the tri-state area from $2,500-$7k on CL.

Back