Sport97's sport | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah mine is bubbling bad, it just needs fixed, it maybe 205k miles but I ain't gettin rid of it for anything :p: plus I want my paint to match afterwords. And with that kinda condition it's hard to fix right at home.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jerry, I'd want under 100k, and they want too much for those.

Glen, any estimates on the work/paint?

I think I was quoted about 4 or 5 hundred for it to be exact.

Not bad at all

about the small rad hose issue you had. i did that on the side of the road to a 2004 ranger. sohc. only took the throttle body, intake tube, and thermostat housing off. the housing is what i was replacing, did the hose to cause its such a ***** to get to.

just incase anyone cares lol

about the small rad hose issue you had. i did that on the side of the road to a 2004 ranger. sohc. only took the throttle body, intake tube, and thermostat housing off. the housing is what i was replacing, did the hose to cause its such a ***** to get to.

just incase anyone cares lol

The job 2 SOHC has a different intake that does not require it to be removed. Still, that sounds like a PITA to change roadside.

Shot from a recent trip up the mountain:

2013-01-13125222_zps075ba871.jpg

That is the Youghiogheny River with the tracks running parallel to it. Much nicer view in the summer or fall with the foliage.

I parked and hiked up to this spot, although i do believe I could make it. I watched a lifted rubicon make it over this dirt mound in the trail the blocks the way on my hike back down. Its possible I would've high center so I just decided to hoof it up.

Nice, can't wait until spring to get back down there.

After being stuck at walmart with a dead battery (left headlights on for 5-10 minutes). I had to go buy a new battery. I needed one anyway. This one had no reserve power left. It would die if I left the door open 15 minutes.

Ended up with a everready(?) Maxx group 65. I heard good reviews. I think it even scored highest in consumer reports. 850 cc amps. I wanted a 1000+ but this will do I supposed. Didn't have much choice.

I had to change it and a terminal in a blizzard in the parking lot.

Just came across this stuff on the cam...

Road trip, loaded to the max inside with camp gear, and 4 people. Still got 18mpgs on all 2 lane mountain roads too! (now i'm getting 11-13 :( )
DSCF1706_zps6e4928ff.jpg

DSCF1669_zps18e608fb.jpg

DSCF1668_zpsf8b48b33.jpg

DSCF1666_zpsd160be00.jpg

DSCF1662_zps7002e9f8.jpg

Exhaust work:
DSCF1660_zps3bd3c649.jpg

Money will be diverted from this money pit to the new money pit I just bought as a second vehicle. 1994 f150, 302 automatic. Power options, remote start. Everything works. Needs tires, driver's side door pins, front fenders, bedsides and the cab corners are starting to go. Runs and drives awesome. (did start ticking but I realized it was 2-3 quarts low! Topped it off and its quiet again) Makes no clunks or anything over bumps. Only has 112k miles. Best of all, cost a grand!

Attachments

• 861111_4530986960571_71985293_o.jpg
    861111_4530986960571_71985293_o.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 284

Congratulations on the new ride!! Looks like a fun time for sure. What's the plans with this truck and which is the new DD? I hope you have plenty of fun with your new toy!

Congratulations on the new ride!! Looks like a fun time for sure. What's the plans with this truck and which is the new DD? I hope you have plenty of fun with your new toy!

I plan to continue DD duty with the explorer. Although I just got 12.8mpg highway last tank... the truck may get better than that! The truck is more so I second car for camping, muddin', and a spare to drive while working on the ex, etc...

I want to do the work to make the truck nicer, maybe put a leveling kit on it and 33 or 32s. I will then take that truck out the the mud bogs and up the mountain more so I don't beat on my DD as much.

This tank jumped to 16.2mpg. Check engine light for lean on bank 2, and a misfire on cyl 3.

The cyl 3 misfire is not good. Maybe a faulty coil, or a bad plug or wire? Maybe that is what I have been suspecting has been my torque converter. This is the first time I got a code. It started flashing right after it was all bogged down.

I would definitely, look at the plug and if it doesn't look bad then I would change the wires.

Still haven't gotten a chance to check out the miss but it is running worse and worse. It used to only run poorly maybe once every few months, then every few weeks.... now it happens every time I drive. It'll only run poorly for 5-15 seconds then it'll start running good again...

V8 swap from the F-150. LOL !!!

Took the explorer out to Yankee Lake truck night. Had some fun out in the mud. All was well even with 6 people in it. Bottomed out a few times and had one sketchy point where i was almost swallowed by the mud but all was well....

Until I lost a brake line. It was not due to mudding, just decided to blow out then. Manged to get a bottle of fluid from a dude with a lifted explorer on 35's (it was broken down as well). The master was dry. Limped it home to camp an hour away after I topped it off. It was literally a stream of fluid of fluid when I hit the brakes. The next morning after trying to patch it with JB weld for a quick fix (failed) I decided to cut and crimp the line off. Off I went with almost no brakes in the front and no brakes in the rear because they are cut off. Every 4 or so stops I had to top the master back off. Made it a friends house an hour away luckily. She had a car to get us 2 hours to my house and AAA. Called AAA up and had it loaded on a roll back there and shipped on home.

Here are a few pics I snagged. I had washed the wheels and the grill/rad/headlights off before the pic so I could drive it.

Attachments

• yankee 3.jpg
    yankee 3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 221
  • yankee 4.jpg
    yankee 4.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 206
  • yankee 5.jpg
    yankee 5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 201

I am near the end of my relationship with the explorer. I'm looking for something newer. I really will miss the explorer and the fun of going offroad but I want something better on gas. I drive 25 miles highway to work each way 5 days a week. At 17mpg that could be a lot better with a newer car that gets 30mpg+...

I want to go newer/lower mileage, possibly certified preowned so I have a warranty so I don't have so many issues to fix (not that the explorer has had a ton). I have a 94 f150 and a 1973 kawasaki f7 so I have enough old things to get my wrenching fix with there. I am staying at a rental house with limited tools at my disposal so less repairs the better.

I kind of want a hatchback and/or something sporty. I like the newer mustangs but they are to small in the back seats. I've considered volvo c30, vw gti, focus hatch (st is out of my price range), and civic si but I can't decide... Undecided on an auto or stick... I do see bumper to bumper traffic from time to time which can be a pain with a stick.

Sounds like a good plan. I dumped my ex in hopes of a hatchback too... Well, more of a station wagon. Dodge Magnum R/T.

Rockin a Lebaron right now. Just averaged 34mpg on a 900mile road trip. Not bad for a 21year old 3.0L V6 lol

Back