Sport97's sport | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport97's sport

Post updated:

My name is Vince, I live south of Pittsburgh, Pa. I bought my explorer after i graduated high school(july 08) with 50k for 3500

The Ex:
97 explorer sport, SOHC/auto, leather, moon roof, + mods...

The x: It had 50k miles on it when i got it, and had only minimal rust. Since then the rust has been fixed, and I'm over 100k. Maintenance has been typical with plugs/wires, fuel filter, all 4 ball joints and a thermostat. Running Mobil 1 syn has seemed to quiet the timing chain rattle. Its totally quiet in the summer, and slightly louder in the cold weather.

DSCF8221.jpg

flex2.jpg

CURRENT STATE: 12/2011 @101k

-front skid plate
-removed front valance
-relocated front fog lights
-clear corners
-safari bar/lights (victim of rust and off roading)
-bed liner on a few things
-8" sub w/ amp
-4 pioneer speakers
-air box mod
-new rockers w/o rust:)
-cobra CB w/ 2 3ft wilson whips on the back
-Firestone At's , 265/75/16
-TT
-4 door leaf pack/aal/shackles

Near future:

-f150 tow hooks

Future: 3" body lift, 285/75 M/Ts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good plan. I dumped my ex in hopes of a hatchback too... Well, more of a station wagon. Dodge Magnum R/T.

Rockin a Lebaron right now. Just averaged 34mpg on a 900mile road trip. Not bad for a 21year old 3.0L V6 lol

I didn't know you sold your ex. I like the idea of the rt magnum. It fits my bill but they are hard to find with the hemi at a reasonable cost and i don't like the idea of owning a dodge. The whole car seems cheaply made to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems my time as come... Yesterday I bought a 2012 focus hatch. Titanium trim, yellow blaze tri-coat paint, all the toys except active park assist. Really nice car. I hope to in a few years get another ex to build and play with unless my girl talks me into a cherokee like she wants...

Someone is coming to look at my explorer today...

Explorer is gone tomorrow for 2400. Fair price for both parties I feel. I could have squeaked more without the check engine light and the squeak but it needs to move sooner than later with the new car. Hopefully she will treat the new owner as well as she has treated me. I'll be sure to inform him of the forum.

I will still lurk from time to time. Thank you to the many who have helped me over the 5 years I owned my explorer! I hope to be back among the ranks soon with an offroad "beater" explorer once I have my own place (own not rent).

Here is the new "replacement". 2012 focus hatch. Titanium, handling package, leather, sunroof, my ford touch w/ nav, yellow blaze metallic tricoat with 11k miles.

Attachments

• focus new 2.jpg
    focus new 2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 286
  • focus new 3.jpg
    focus new 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 257
  • focus new.jpg
    focus new.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 276

Glad to hear you got a replacement and a buyer for the Explorer. Who knows, by the time you drag your ass back to Pa. I might have my SAS done by then and we can go take on bigger trails.

Oooo nice replacement!! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure I've said this before but your truck has always had my attention and been one of my favorites. I dig everything you've done to it. Sad to read this update but things happen man. Good luck with everything!!

Reading back over this thread was depressing. I miss the ol' girl. Hopefully she is still alive and ticking. I saw I had a lot of negative comments about how it ran and sounds it made, but they probably were all exaggerated a tad. Overall it was an awesome car. Minimal work and money needed put into it for how I abused it. 5 1/2 years and 75k miles and I sold it for 1100 less than I paid. I did well on it.

New focus has been bad luck. Man it is fun to drive, quick (not fast) and very nimble with the handling package but it has been in the paint shop for a few things. Warranty and an accident already. Now I backed into something with my freshly repaired bumper... This is why I can't own nice things...

Hopefully one day I'll get back into an explorer, although I almost pulled the trigger on a 1999 cherokee sport (deeply regret not buying). I will always have a soft spot for the ex, hence putting an AAL and 265/75/15s on my mom's explorer

I have a couple parts for sale in the classifieds as well...

I still pop in here every now and then.
Thought I'd drop a pic of my newly redone f150...

IMG_20140724_204141631_zpsfdd1ca9b.jpg

The rundown:

1994 f150 5.0 auto 4x4. 113k miles. Purchase price 1000 bucks running and inspected... then the repairs and new parts started to add up...

New parts include:
Bedsides
Fenders
Cab corners
New gas tanks
New trim that runs down the side
Fender flares
Larger radiator
Redhead steering box
Ford racing wires
Motorcraft plugs (need installed yet)
New tranny fluid, 1 new line, new filter and gasket
New rear shoes and wheel cylinders
Some new brake lines
A new fuel line
POR-15 on the frame
New rear shocks
Lower window seals
New stereo
2K primer and single stage urethane paint

Not to mention all kinds of other little do-dads here and there...

My spreadsheet tells me I am at 3750, price of the truck and tires included.

Back