• Register Today It's free!

SportTrac Rust Issues

Dan268

Reaction score
City, State
Flagler Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 SportTrac
I’ve got a 2008 Explorer SportTrac with 128,000 miles. I love the vehicle; it’s very reliable and handy for hauling some people or for bringing home materials from the Home Depot, and I like driving it. The problem is the rocker panels are rusted out and the cab corners are rusting too. Body shop said it would be $5400 to take care of the rust. I was thinking I could drop $1000 into it, but not what he was talking about. The frame itself seems pretty solid. Any recommendations for a lower cost repair that would stop the rust and cover the bad places? Tired of leaving little piles of rust on the driveway.

9623DAF2-8EE3-4BEB-807A-124CFB37FB63.jpeg

BA906B10-E100-452A-AFC2-E7027AF48B4E.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could check with other body shops but I'm afraid that's a pricy job most anywhere. They probably want to cut the entire rocker off from corner to corner under both doors because there's probably holes about to appear in other spots. What's strange to me is I've noticed water collects in the exact spot where those holes are when the doors are closed in the rain. I open the door, and water falls out from that spot.

You’ve definitely got substantial rust, but that estimate is crazy. You should certainly get some other estimates. Another member documented his work on a first Gen ST, with similar rust issues. Rocker Panel Rust Repair

You can buy a Explorer rocker panel repair patch from Rockauto. It is not listed for the Sport Trac, as the end of it near the cab corner will need to be modified (cut) to fit. You will also need to make the clearance slots for the floorboard mounting bolts. Other than that, it fits right over the existing rocker. The cab corner will have to be dealt with separately. Either a donor truck or fab a patch.
My rocker on the left side had two holes and I opened them up with a pick hammer until I got to sold metal. I was able to slip the repair patch over and between some rivets, panel adhesive and the floorboard mounts the repair is quite solid. I drilled a couple of holes to allow me to pour oil into the rocker to help prevent the rust spreading. The right side was solid, so I just added the oil holes.
Now depending on your skill and whats available the best would be to weld the rocker patch in and if the rust is extensive this is the really only solution.

You can buy a Explorer rocker panel repair patch from Rockauto. It is not listed for the Sport Trac, as the end of it near the cab corner will need to be modified (cut) to fit. You will also need to make the clearance slots for the floorboard mounting bolts. Other than that, it fits right over the existing rocker. The cab corner will have to be dealt with separately. Either a donor truck or fab a patch.
My rocker on the left side had two holes and I opened them up with a pick hammer until I got to sold metal. I was able to slip the repair patch over and between some rivets, panel adhesive and the floorboard mounts the repair is quite solid. I drilled a couple of holes to allow me to pour oil into the rocker to help prevent the rust spreading. The right side was solid, so I just added the oil holes.
Now depending on your skill and whats available the best would be to weld the rocker patch in and if the rust is extensive this is the really only solution.
Thanks, I’ll check that out

Thanks, I’ll check that out
This is the manufacturer and PN, I used. KEYSTONE RRP3907
Currently it looks to be sold out, but you might be able to find it somewhere. Cost me $50.57 with shipping In CDN.

You could check with other body shops but I'm afraid that's a pricy job most anywhere. They probably want to cut the entire rocker off from corner to corner under both doors because there's probably holes about to appear in other spots. What's strange to me is I've noticed water collects in the exact spot where those holes are when the doors are closed in the rain. I open the door, and water falls out from that spot.
Tracking down similar issues with older F-150. It sewms it is usually attributed to rust development under windshield seal. It lifts the seal allowing water to work its way down the A pillar to rockers.

The 3rd brake light seal can also be an issue with both vehicles, especially in regard to the cab corners.

Back