Spray Paint Hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spray Paint Hitch?

I got a used hitch from the junk yard for $25. I sanded it down and sprayed 2 coats of primer for slighly rusted metal and 3 coats of semi black spray paint. The paint has the soft feeling I strapped 2 kayaks down today and a rubber hook indented and peeled off some paint. Why is this? What paint should I use? Can I put a coat of it over the black?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'd probably be better of powder coating it or using roll on bed liner and applying it with a roller..

I would have powder coated it, but my oven wasn't big enough to fit it in. Where can I get bed liner?

I got a used hitch from the junk yard for $25. I sanded it down and sprayed 2 coats of primer for slighly rusted metal and 3 coats of semi black spray paint. The paint has the soft feeling I strapped 2 kayaks down today and a rubber hook indented and peeled off some paint. Why is this? What paint should I use? Can I put a coat of it over the black?

soft because

your primer may not be compatable with the paint you used!

you put the primer on to thick, and it did not flash off before u gave it a second coat!

soft because

your primer may not be compatable with the paint you used!

you put the primer on to thick, and it did not flash off before u gave it a second coat!

flash off? it wasn't that thick of a coat either. the black comes off, but not the primer.

sand it down to bare metal.
One nice coat of primer let it dry, scuff it clean it than paint it.

But thats what I already did. I will give it some more time. I just painted and finished it yesterday. I may have not waited enough time between coats so I am going to let it cure some.

lots of people spray a primer, surface looks dry and they shoot it again, But under the surface had not had enough time to finish it's chemical flash. So the second coat suface flashes off but the first coat stays soft.

At minium I would give the primer 1 hour for rattel can stuff.

um... no. Shipping alone would cost a lot for a 37lbs object. Thanks anyway.

Back