moonman85

Reaction score
City, State
northern mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt
Callsign
N0SKS
Hello I have a question about what spring buckets to use for a sas on my 93 explorer. I see most people are using aftermarket it seems but cant you just use the stock ones and bend the tabs for the early bronco springs to fit? is there a problem with just using them that im not aware of? to my understanding is if you use stock spring buckets with 3.5 eb springs you will end up around 5.5-6 inches of lift. please explain the pros and cons of both please.

Thanks kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can certainly use the stock spring buckets, and just about any springs that will fit into them.

I would guess that most have gone to aftermarket buckets both for strength, and spring options, so springs that wouldn't fit either Explorer or Bronco buckets can be used. The stock buckets and spring options for them are kind of limiting, and various types of wheeling call for different spring rates, so the best spring for the job may not be available in the length and rate to fit the stock buckets.

Still others don't even have spring buckets anymore and have a coilover setup instead, having an upper coilover mount completely replace the spring bucket / shock mount assembly.

It can be a conversion process rather than going all in at once - using stock buckets and whatever springs you can get just to have the suspension in there with the solid axle at first, then springing for the new mounts, springs, shocks, etc. once you have the money, find a deal, or figure out what you want to convert to.

Thanks for the reply! I have seen people using the jeep springs alot but for now I think ill use the stock buckets for now and upgrade later. Thanks again

I believe the reason most use aftermarket is for the shock mounts or to be able to mount them at different heights to adjust lift

Another good reason I havent thought of! Then I wouldnt have to cut the factory mount

Back