Spring under axle SAS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spring under axle SAS?

Im just curious... I've never seen it done before. Now, is it because it isnt 'worth' it to go SUA when doing a SAS? Reason I just started thinking about it is because my rear SUA 1st gen flexes better than my sisters SOA 1st gen... Wouldnt it be the same for the front as well then? I mean, SOA gives some ground clearance, but where I go ground clearance isnt the biggest issue, and I'd really like to see a SUA dana 44 swap on an Explorer. I may be the first? /shrug

Again, Im just curious at this point, I have other things that need attention before I start at my SAS, I would just like some comments on the situation at hand :)

Thanks in advance guys! And ladies!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think diff clearance would be a big limiting factor. You'd have to put leaves on with such an arch that they wouldn't flex as well. Don't really know...but with my coil setup i'm gonna be cutting the hell outa the crossmember (will be replating it though) to keep my diff out of it.

Are you referring to diff clearance going upwards as the limiting factor? or it being drug on the ground? In my case that is, I understand why your cutting your cross member.

I meant going up. I honestly don't know though, it was my first thought based solely on my SAS.

Code is right. You'd have to get some seriously arched springs or have rediculously long spring mounts and shackles for it to have the height you need to clear any decent size tire as well.

Damn... Well that sucks.. lol

Is there a difference other than the soa between you and your sisters rear leafs? You said SOA, do yall have longer shackles, add a leafs, removal of the helper spring?

Shes got the stock leaf pack, and I have a '1" ' AAL from a fullsize ford (I think its ment for a bronco, but I got it wicked cheap.. and it fit) that gave me roughly 1.75" of lift, and both rigs have the stock shackles.

Ya, you would need some killer big springs. Mine is SOA and I sit just tall enough to clear a 36 with a 3" BL. Thats about 1" taller than it was with the 5.5" superlift. A spring under sas would just be silly IMO. It would look stock.

Shes got the stock leaf pack, and I have a '1" ' AAL from a fullsize ford (I think its ment for a bronco, but I got it wicked cheap.. and it fit) that gave me roughly 1.75" of lift, and both rigs have the stock shackles.

The AAL would have a negative affect on flex, especially one meant for a fullsize!

No idea than RangerX, because on the forklift at work my truck'll go higher than my sisters. My truck also has the stock shocks in the rear. The only other difference aside from my truck having less lift and a body lift, is I have 35s and she has 33s. The weight wouldnt be that significant, would it?

And the AAL it self is rather thin, in comparison to other AALs I've seen (my brother in laws yota AAL for that matter, is like 5/8" thick, if not thicker). Maybe the guy I bought it from just didnt know and figured it was for a fullsize.. /shrug, regardless, my truck out performs my sisters X and my lift didnt cost me me $2500 cnd lol, so Im impressed at this point.

all im gunna say is it will then be like a jeep and i dont think anyone here wants to see an explorer go down the drain like that now do we?

Ya, you would need some killer big springs. Mine is SOA and I sit just tall enough to clear a 36 with a 3" BL. Thats about 1" taller than it was with the 5.5" superlift. A spring under sas would just be silly IMO. It would look stock.

My truck as is really close to being able to fit 38s (visually it can.. and at full stuff in the front it could, but not the rear anymore), and all I have is a 2" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. My fenders are cut, and the body is smashed in in the rear of the front wheel well, but it can still fit 38s. My truck seems to be really weird... It fit 33s stock with no BL or suspension lift and it didnt rub, so I dont know whats up.

As for the SUA SAS, I was just thinkin because I drove passed a land cruiser here in town on my way home and it got me thinking.. Although that truck only had 33s on it (if that) I just figured I'd ask. I kind of figured I would have needed some huge springs or shackles and what not, but again, I figured I'd ask. Rather see what people think then to not even talk about what 'could have been'. Its all about knowledge, and I like hearing what others have to say about suspension :)

more questions about SUA SAS

What would be the pro's and cons of using an early model bronco d44 SUA set up in an 01 Sport?

What would be the pro's and cons of using an early model bronco d44 SUA set up in an 01 Sport?
Re-read the thread. The problems are the same...

A major con would be that you'd have to cut off the radius arm wedges to weld on new spring perches and even then that might not work because the perch on the drivers side would have to be about in the middle of the pumpkin.
You'd be miles ahead of the game to stick with the radius arm set up it was intended for.
Another con would be that you'd have to buy custom springs for a SUA Explorer, you better get your measurements and weights right because it's a one shot deal. To date, i've never seen an Explorer set up SUA on this board or on the trails. Most people who do a leaf spring front end use Jeep Wagoneer leafs and are SOA.

Back